Encyclopedia News, October 24

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Sun Oct 24 18:01:00 EDT 1999

Hello All

The Links Warehouse has just passed the 300 links mark. I have hired a grunt
to keep track of the links and to keep them tidy. Remember that the moment a
link goes dead or gives a message such as "We have moved" it gets dumped
from the warehouse. So if you have registered a link and the address has
changed, it would be wise of you to let us know. Also let us know if there
has been a major update to the site as we put a cute little icon beside the
address telling visitors there's something new. And if, in your surfing, you
come across a site that should be in the Warehouse drop us a line - we'll
give it a look.

I'm often asked if, as I work on this project, if I have come across
something out of the  ordinary, something truly special. Well, yes  - as
part of my work, I read a lot of Canadian theatre (and in my other job as a
critic, I see a lot of Canadian theatre). So I want to share with you five
plays which I have especially liked, over the years of working on the
Encyclopedia. I'd like to recommend that you pick them up, read them and
consider mounting them as, to my mind, they are worthy of new productions
(some of the plays, especially "flavours of the month" from America, which I
see on stages here in Montreal - and being mounted and remounted all over
the country - are lesser works than these particular five). I'd love to hear
what you think of these works when you get a chance to give them a look.
They are David Young's "Inexpressible Island", Tom Walmsley's "Something
Red", Mark Leiren-Young's "Shylock", Frank Moher's "Odd Jobs" and Maureen
Hunter's "Transit of Venus." There's no point in my having access to all the
book and scripts which are sent to me if I don't recommend them from time to
time. You'll find profiles of all the plays in The Encyclopedia of Canadian
Theatre on the WWW.

Also, don't forget Heavenly Voices for your regional news, job postings or
audition calls. (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/heavenlyvoices.html)

And announce your show!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/calendarguidlines.html) If you want
to see what a typical region's and month's line-up can look like go to
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/atoc99.html)

Register your link too!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/links/linksguidelines.html)

New Profiles:
Wolf, Kelly (Designer) (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/w/wolfk.html)
"Shylock" (Play, Mark Leiren-Young)
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/s/shylock.html)

Updates:
Masthead; Calendar/1 production added; Heavenly Voices; Thea-Tricks;
Reviews/4 added; Links; Sources; Belke, D.; Alberta Theatre Projects; Grand
Theatre (London); Sherman, J.; Rose, R.; McKellar, D.; Panych, M.; Espace
Go; Pintal, L.;  Chaurette, N.; Archambault, J.; Shaw Festival; Associated
Designers of Canada; Designing; Lepage, Robert; Bienvenue, Y.; Leiren-Young,
M.;  Censorship; Monologue; Shakespeare

Gaetan L. Charlebois (Editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the
WWW) http://www.canadiantheatre.com or
http://cantheatre.canoe.ca
If you want to join the Encyclopedia's mailing list (and get information
before anyone else as well as the Monday Hint for the Thea-Tricks Doozey),
simply send an e-mail to blajeune at total.net with the subject heading
"Mailing list"; if you wish to be removed from this mailing list, simply