Killam

Denis Salter CYWS at MUSICA.MCGILL.CA
Thu Sep 30 11:08:01 EDT 1999

Dear Colleagues,

Simply as a point of information, with no interpretation
guiding it, I note that the Killam Prize Laureates from 1995-
1999 are made up of an impressive list: 5 were in Health
Sciences, 5 were in Natural Sciences, and 4 were in Engineering.

I note, again as a point of information, that in the Killam
Research Fellowships for 1999: 1 was in Philosophy, 1 was in the
History of Philosophy and Classical Studies; meanwhile,
1 was in Astronomy, 1 was in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology,
1 was in Chemical Engineering, 1 was in Entomology, Biology,
1 was in Maths, 1 was in Physics, 1 was in Urban Social Geography,
1 was in Chemistry, 1 was in Law; and 3 were spread out across
the sub-divisions of Economics:
1 in Political Economy, 1 in Economics; and l
in Economic and Social History, Women's/Gender History.

I didn't examine the Research Fellowships for a Second Year,
except to note that they were awarded to extraordinarily excellent
scholars; and to note that of the 9 renewals,
l was in Sociology, Criminology, Communications and Law: Marketing Se-
curity; l in Chemistry and Astronomy, 1 in
Econometrics, Economics and Statistics, 1 in Quantum Optics and
and Condensed Matter Physics, l in Particle Physics,
Astrophysics and Astronomy, 1 in Maths,  1 in Computer Science,
1 in History, and 1 in Psychology, Neuroscience.

Needless to say, many complex and perhaps conflicting conclusions
could be drawn about these data.

Best Wishes,

Denis Salter
4965, avenue Connaught
Notre Dame De Grace
Montreal H4V 1X4
No Fax
(514) 487 7309

"If Detroit can still be thought of as the car capital of
 the world, Hollywood is the Detroit of the imagination."
**Jay Carr, Boston Globe