American Society for Theatre Research 1999 Barnard Hewitt Award

Anton Wagner awagner at YORKU.CA
Thu Apr 27 19:08:47 EDT 2000

The University of Toronto Press has nominated Establishing Our Boundaries: English-Canadian Theatre Criticism for the 1999 Barnard Hewitt Award, created in honor of one of the American theatre's most notable scholars.

The $500 annual award is presented to an individual or a group of writers in recognition of an important contribution, in English, to the field of theatre history and cognate theatre studies.

The official announcement and presentation of the award will take place at the November 2000 meeting of The American Society for Theatre Research.

The 1998 Award went to Don B. Wilmeth and Christopher Bigsby, eds., The Cambridge History of American Theatre, Vol. I: Beginnings to 1870  (Cambridge University Press). Also recognized with Honorable Mention were Patricia Eckert Boyer, Artists and the Avant-Garde Theater in Paris, 1887-1900  (National Gallery of Art); Jennifer Robertson, Takarazuka: Sexual Politics and Popular Culture in Modern Japan  (University of California Press); and Richard W. Schoch, Shakespeare's Victorian Stage:
Performing History in the Theatre of Charles Kean (Cambridge University Press).