Health awards

Sherrill Grace Sherrill.E.Grace at UBC.CA
Thu Aug 17 12:33:58 EDT 2000

Dear Richard and All:
Let's keep imagining ways in which we can be part of CIHR teams by making
theatre part of what is being researched.  I think it's a natural
connection--remember what all that catharsis does for the blood pressure!
However, we will have to push ourselves forward because, in my experience,
theatre is overlooked by social scientists, scientists, and even humanists,
who just don't 'see' it except as entertainment they buy the odd ticket for
(but I stop before I start grumping!!) But how about a component on
"theatre and AIDS", "theatre and prisons", "children's theatre and abuse
awareness", "theatre, death, and dying", "theatre and disabilities" or more
elaborate Foucaultian metaphors: "the theatre of madness"?  Who is working
on cognate areas in medicine, health prevention, social work, aging,
alzheimers, etc in your universities?  Can we  push for funding components
to workshop a new play or playwright as part of a research project, put on
a relevant play as part of a Conference, bring theatre historical expertise
to contemporary medicine, the ideas proliferate.......
Go for it!
Sherrill