Cole's notes

Valerie Senyk vsenyk at NICKEL.LAURENTIAN.CA
Wed Feb 9 02:39:05 EST 2000

Yes, I know Cole's Notes can be problematic in many ways. However, they do
redeem themselves when I'm doing a Shakespeare production with students who
haven't done Shakespeare before, and who are fearful of so many things, like
the language...But if I can give them the scene by scene summaries that Cole's
has, it helps to show them that really the action and events are quite simple,
and the summaries can serve as one of the interpretive tools for the young
actor. Of course, as a director I might wish to emphasize one thing from a
scene that may be rather subtle -and certainly not covered in Cole's - but the
notes help give my choice a context.
Howver, in pure academia, "Cole's notes" have a reputation equal to some other
grave political incorrectness...I think this discussion is healthy.

Valerie Senyk