Encyclopedia News; June 30

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Fri Jun 30 16:19:20 EDT 2000

Hello All

Well this is my last regular weekly bulletin until September, as we will be
spending the next two months cleaning the archives.

The reason that this task has become important is that the Encyclopedia has
just gone through it's first major revision. From April 1, 1999 to June 26,
2000, every article on the site has been corrected and, as much as is
possible, brought up to date. That's over 1260 profiles proofed, added to
and, in some cases, foot-noted. Before the second revision can begin (during
which we'd like to, as much as possible, list the sources for the
information in the profiles) we have to put thousands of newspaper,
magazine, web and journal articles, e-mails and theatre program bios in
order.

As this is going on we will continue to update profiles as needed, Heavenly
Voices will remain active, we will also keep The National Theatre Calendar
and Registry (NATHCARE) and Reviews section up to date, and we will finish a
major new feature that will be launched in the autumn. We will also answer
the voluminous mail we receive, answering questions from people across the
country and around the world about Canadian theatre people, places and
creations. During the archiving process, no new profiles will be added
(though profiles will be considered for inclusion in the autumn),
Thea-Tricks will not be new each week (though there is a new one in place
for the summer!), and bulletins to members will only go out intermittently.

And, oh my!, technical glitches still happen. For instance, this week, after
nearly two years online (and some 200,000 visitors) someone noticed there
was no link from the "N" index to the National Theatre School profile.
Amazing... (And especially amazing that no alums from NTS were not
hysterically insulted that there was "no" profile on the school!)

Here's hoping you all have a magnificent summer.

Updates:
About Revisions; Heavenly Voices; About Contacting Us; A Note from the
Editor; Special Summer Thea-Tricks; Calendar (6 productions added); Reviews
(4 added); Provost, Gilles; Nadeau, M.; Nadon, G.; "Ne blamez jamais les
Bedouins"; "La nef des sorcieres"; Neufeld, M.; "New Canadian Kid"; New Play
Society; Nichol, J. ; MacInnis, A.; Eagan, M.; Anglin, A.; Noyes, J.; Nolin,
P.; Peterson, E.; "Nothing Sacred"; Nouvelle Compagnie Theatrale / Theatre
Denise-Pelletier; Denoncourt, S.; Neptune Theatre; Soulpepper Theatre
Company; Griffiths, L.; "Encore une fois, si vous le permettez"; Gaboriau,
L.; Tremblay, M.; MacDonald, A.; Mirvish, E.; Mirvish, D.; Rose, R.;
Blendick, J.; Collins, P.; Trotter, K.; Baker, B.; Citadel Theatre; Haslam,
J.;  Shatner, W.; Blackburn, R.; Danis, D.; Imago

If you would like a copy of the entire list of profiles, I can send it to
you by e-mail. Also if, for teaching etc., you'd like all the Thea-Tricks
questions and answers since the beginning, that's available too.  (Both at
no charge like all services provided by canadiantheatre.com.)

Don't forget Heavenly Voices for your regional news, job postings or
audition calls. (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/heavenlyvoices.html)

Announce your show in The National Theatre Calendar and Registry (NATHCARE)!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/calendarguidelines.html) If you
want to see what a typical region's and month's line-up can look like go to
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/atoc99.html)

Register your link too!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/links/linksguidelines.html)

Gaetan L. Charlebois (Editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the
WWW) http://www.canadiantheatre.com If you want to join the Encyclopedia's
mailing list (and get information before anyone else as well as the Monday
Hint for the Thea-Tricks Doozey), simply send an e-mail to
blajeune at total.net with the subject heading "Mailing list"; if you wish to
be removed from this mailing list, simply reply to this e-mail with the
subject heading: "Remove"