Federal plans on research and post-sec. education

Richard Plant rplant at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Mon Mar 13 08:56:47 EST 2000

Hello All:

Here's a recent update from HSSFC on the Federal approach (or lack of it)
to education and research in humanities and sociaL sciences. I wonder
whether any of you feel the same twinge that I sometimes do: that we've
somehow failed to provide our country with well-trained, sensitive,
knowledgeable and perceptive leaders. I often note that our political
leaders graduated from universities, some even from humanities and/or
social sciences programmes. Where have we gone wrong? Do we need to learn
ways of getting the proverbial mule to drink as well as simply to the
water? (Many of the mules are very good at the trough already, so no
increase in capabilities on their part is needed in that case.)

Richard Plant
Dept of Drama, Queen's University
and
Graduate Centre for Study of Drama,