Encyclopedia News; March 24

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Fri Mar 24 19:29:20 EST 2000

Hello All

Good news; I now have a spy in Saskatchewan. Beata Van Berkom, our new
Senior Contributor, has offered to cover the beat and has already
contributed an enormous amount toward updating several profiles. Anyone care
to be my spy for any of the Atlantic Provinces or BC (specifically
Vancouver...)?

I don't know why this Western nut is so hard to crack. What makes the whole
project a little more difficult for me is that the web sites for the
newspapers and weeklies in the west are so atrocious - badly made, barely
covering local news let alone local theatre. So the West remains an enigma
and despite all the help offered, little is forthcoming.

Meanwhile, things are starting to hop as companies announce their 2000/2001
seasons. You may ask yourself why I don't always include slated shows in a
profile. It's simply because a show doesn't truly exist until it has had an
opening night. Shows in announced seasons get cancelled or replaced, casts
and directors are changed, companies go out of business or, bluntly, people
die. This, too, is why in the biographies I try not to include "future
projects".

New Profiles:
Porteous, Cameron (Designer)
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/p/porteousc.html)
Sudbury Theatre Centre
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/s/sudburytheatrecentre.html)

Updates:
Calendar (2 productions added); Masthead; Sources; Reviews (3 added); Links;
Thea-Tricks; Heavenly Voices (Lots of news - Chalmers nominees, new seasons,
etc...); Prairie Festival of Words (now called, simply, Festival of Words);
Theatre and Company; Festivals; Spoken Word; Saskatchewan; Ritter, E.;
Greenblatt, R.; Morisette, L.; Cote, JC; Theatre de la Recidive; Mulgrave
Road Theatre; 25th Street Theatre; McCall, G.; Griffiths, L.; Droege, S.;
Shepherd, E.; Just For Laughs;  King, C.; Moodie, A.; Thomson, RH;
Stratford; Nelligan, K.; Ontario; Shaw Festival; Designing; "Crabdance";
Associated Designers of Canada; Schoenberg, M.; Pretten, P.; Devorski, J.;
Bolam, E.; "Suburban Motel"

If you would like a copy of the entire list of profiles, I can send it to
you by e-mail. Also if, for teaching etc., you'd like all the Thea-Tricks
questions and answers since the beginning, that's available too.  (Both at
no charge like all services provided by canadiantheatre.com.)

Don't forget Heavenly Voices for your regional news, job postings or
audition calls. (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/heavenlyvoices.html)

Announce your show!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/calendarguidlines.html) If you want
to see what a typical region's and month's line-up can look like go to
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/atoc99.html)

Register your link too!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/links/linksguidelines.html)

Gaetan L. Charlebois (Editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the
WWW) http://www.canadiantheatre.com If you want to join the Encyclopedia's
mailing list (and get information before anyone else as well as the Monday
Hint for the Thea-Tricks Doozey), simply send an e-mail to
blajeune at total.net with the subject heading "Mailing list"; if you wish to
be removed from this mailing list, simply reply to this e-mail with the
subject heading: "Remove"