Plays for women

Deborah Cottreau cottreau at DUKE.USASK.CA
Wed Mar 29 11:39:16 EST 2000

Hello everyone.

I've come to brainstorm with people out there who run a theatre season
out of their drama or theatre department.  I am looking for a play for
women, ANY PERIOD, from the Greeks to the present.  It is ok if the play
has some men in it (although there will be a limited number of male
student actors to chose from next year), but essentially it should be a
play for and about women.  This play is to occur in the pre-Christmas
slot of our season, so the selection should be in the comic vein (or
something along those lines - tragedy and Christmas will probably make
for small houses).

Now, we were intending to do Good Night Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet),
but a planned national tour by a professional company has hampered our
ability to advertise the play off campus even though we were granted the
rights to produce it -- and in a small town like Saskatoon with the
various media agencies vying for broadcast time or newsprint space, this
becomes difficult, if not impossible.  What happens in our theatre space
(thank goodness) is an important social event.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.  I am
competent in the area of mask (Greek, character, commedia), so anything
from these styles is fine.

Actually, a Marivaux or Molière in translation (if it's a good
translation) would be great fun!  I just need LOTS of women's roles.
And I need the name of a reliable translator (I've read most of the
plays in French).

Thanks to all listening.

Deborah Cottreau
University of Saskatchewan.