Lorne Harris & Lawren Harris, the same person?

Geraldo Ferreira de Lima gdelim at PO-BOX.MCGILL.CA
Thu May 11 08:52:34 EDT 2000

To the members of CANDrama:

In Don Rubin's CANADIA THEATRE HISTORY, p. 147, in the article
TOWARDS A CANADIAN THEATRE,  George Brodersen writes:
"There are few Canadian playwrights or actors who are as well known in their
field as Grove in the novel. Birney in Poetry or Lorne Harris in painting."

I think that the "Lorne Harris" Brodersen is talking about is  "Lawren
Stewart Harris" of the Group of Seven. If I am right, why did he write LORNE
instead of LAWREN, Harris's real first name? Does it mean that Brodersen
made a mispelling or is it a another way of spelling Harris's first name?

All my best, and thanks in advance for your answer/s.

Geraldo Ferreira de Lima
3959 rue Éthel
Verdun  QC
Canada