Encyclopedia News; May 26

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Thu May 25 22:14:31 EDT 2000

Hello All

Are you or your company Fringing this year? Don't forget The National
Theatre Calendar and Registry (NATHCARE; see details below).

Letter of the week 1:
"Dear friends, we are czech theatre company from Prague and we are looking
for more actual informations about playwriter and the play === .Our famous
director ===  repeats the play === in our ===.Could you help us, please?
Thank you very much. We are waiting for your news. === Prague." And who says
Canadian theatre doesn't travel well? Company and playwright were brought
together.

Letter of the week 2:
"Where can i find the dates and the places where the play : === (by ===)
been presented ??? I need an answer very quickly please !!!!!!!" Almost
guaranteed not to be answered quickly. There is a profile of the play in the
Encyclopedia and junior had apparently not taken the time to go beyond the
teacher telling him the assignment AND telling him where to look.

Silliness aside, there are more and more queries about Canadian theatre
coming from outside of the country (and they're not all about Robert Lepage
or asking for "pictures" of Megan Follows or  Paul Gross). Just this week
people from Great Britain and Argentina have contacted me asking for more
information about the playwrights and plays contained in The Encyclopedia of
Canadian Theatre on the WWW (and sometimes not). The word is getting out
that there is something here and it's not necessarily a mega-musical. What
is also fun is when I can put people together, like those in the letter
above, with the playwright they're trying to contact. It makes me happy,
and, in nine cases out of ten, pleases the playwright no end. The need for a
resource like canadiantheatre.com - not only for Canadians, but for the
world - has never seemed more pressing and I am thankful that we have the
technology and are living in the time where curiousity - even in the Czech
Republic - about Canadians and their achievements can be satisfied. Because
of this burgeoning international interest in the site and its contents, new
features are being created that will draw people from outside Canada in.
Stay tuned.

New Profiles:
Galluccio, Steve (Playwright)
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/g/galluccios.html)
Schipper, Steven (Director)
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/s/schippers.html)

Updates:
Reviews (2 added); Thea-Tricks; Calendar (2 productions added); English
Language Theatre in Quebec; Fringe Movement; Gay and Lesbian Theatre;
Manitoba Theatre Centre; Manitoba; Hunter, M.; Shatner, W.; Sherwood, A.;
Shoctor, J.; "Un Simple Soldat"; Sinclair, L.; Snapshot Productions;
Springate, M.; "Spring Thaw"; Spychalski, T.; Stanley Theatre; British
Columbia;  "Starmania"; Ste-Croix, G.; "Still Stands the House"; St.
Lawrence Centre; Sullivan, S.; Swan, S.; Plamondon, L.; MacIvor, D.;
Griffin, N.; Gross, P.; Burns, M.

If you would like a copy of the entire list of profiles, I can send it to
you by e-mail. Also if, for teaching etc., you'd like all the Thea-Tricks
questions and answers since the beginning, that's available too.  (Both at
no charge like all services provided by canadiantheatre.com.)

Don't forget Heavenly Voices for your regional news, job postings or
audition calls. (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/heavenlyvoices.html)

Announce your show in The National Theatre Calendar and Registry (NATHCARE)!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/calendarguidelines.html) If you
want to see what a typical region's and month's line-up can look like go to
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/atoc99.html)

Register your link too!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/links/linksguidelines.html)

Gaetan L. Charlebois (Editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the
WWW) http://www.canadiantheatre.com If you want to join the Encyclopedia's
mailing list (and get information before anyone else as well as the Monday
Hint for the Thea-Tricks Doozey), simply send an e-mail to
blajeune at total.net with the subject heading "Mailing list"; if you wish to
be removed from this mailing list, simply reply to this e-mail with the
subject heading: "Remove"