Encyclopedia News, October 6

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Fri Oct 6 16:21:15 EDT 2000

Hello All:

Here's how:
"Hey, I just discovered your terrific site and I'll be coming back. A fast
reference to a typo. The name New Westminster is missing its second 's'"

Here's how not to:
"Maggie and Pierre had three sons not two.  How can you make such an obvious
error?"

The first e-mail got a smile, a correction and a listing in the masthead.
The second got this reply: "Thanks for your correction (however blunt)."

Great news - we are steadily surpassing 13,000 visitors per week - last
week, 13,160 to be precise. This is double the number this time last year,
four times what it was the first weeks with the site at Canoe in April,
1999, and about six times my projections for initial two-year point for the
site.

I'll tell you again what part of the site I am especially proud of: The
Reviews. There are a lot of submissions (over 120 for this year alone so
far) and in many cases two or three critics send reviews for the same show.
This gives us a chance to read several viewpoints and, often, this gives a
well-rounded picture of a production most of us will never see. You should
have a look if you haven't alread - some of the critics archiving there are,
to my mind, the best in the country.
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/reviews.html)

Meanwhile - another change. I have removed Heavenly Voices which was
becoming pretty pathetic, as bulletin boards go. The thing with the WWW is
that if a section - like Heavenly Voices - has dated information the most
recent of which is three months old, it gives new visitors the impression
that the whole site is tired and out of date (which, with constant updates
and thousands of visitors, is not the case!).

As you can see with the recent parings down, we are honing in on the real
raison d'etre of the whole project: information about Canadian theatre which
is current (ie: the Encyclopedia) and of use to everyone, especially
students.

New Profiles:
Petrie, Doris (Actor)

Updates (P indicates photo added):
Links; Masthead; Reviews (6 added); Teachers' Guide;  "Encore une fois, si
vous le permettez"; McCall, G.; "Vigil"; Shepherd, E.; Flett, S.; Ship's
Company Theatre; Neptune Theatre; Soulpepper Theatre Company; Garnhum, D.;
Prinsloo, I.; "La Repetition";  Stickland, E.; Thomson, R (P); Rose, R. (P);
Necessary Angel (P); "Maggie and Pierre"; British Columbia; Neptune Theatre;
Sudbury Theatre Centre; "La Guerre, Yes Sir" (P); Eastern Front Theatre;
Lill, W.; Dora Mavor Moore Awards; Archambault, F.; Castel, F.; Turcot, L.;
Landreville, O.; Poissant, C.; Danis, L.; Spaziani, M.; Collin, P.

If you would like a copy of the entire list of profiles, I can send it to
you by e-mail.

Register your link too!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/links/linksguidelines.html)

Gaetan L. Charlebois (Editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the
WWW) http://www.canadiantheatre.com If you want to join the Encyclopedia's
mailing list (and get information before anyone else as well as the Monday
Hint for the Thea-Tricks Doozey), simply send an e-mail to
blajeune at total.net with the subject heading "Mailing list"; if you wish to
be removed from this mailing list, simply reply to this e-mail with the
subject heading: "Remove"