Encyclopedia News; April 27, 2001

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Fri Apr 27 00:34:36 EDT 2001

Hello all:

After a flu, two bad colds and a bronchial infection I have gotten through
the winter and things are back on track. The mail generated by the site is
at an all-time high (especially now with the end of the school year and
every kid in the nation asking for help with their homework; ie: will I
write it...)

I have renewed the contract with Canoe so the site will be operating for
another two years at least or until I get hit by a truck (whichever comes
first). They are happy, I am happy. I am working on two new features even as
the Calendar goes into retirement, next month. The site, I feel, is getting
tighter and more focussed and it doesn't hurt that I get help from people
across the country and around the world.

Especially critics and speaking of critics (smooth segue, no?): Of interest
in the Reviews section (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/reviews.html) are
several takes on Soulpepper's production of A Flea in Her Ear and Anne
Nothof's look at Sharon Pollock's new play, Angel's Trumpet.

I am continuously delighted and touched by the help I get from around the
world. For instance, Alberta Theatre Projects sent me a pile of photos from
their recent playRites fest. Michel Monticelli, an ex-magazine photographer
now settled in France, offered the Encyclopedia rights (free!) to some of
his photos, including those of Felix Leclerc and Genevieve Bujold. And Ann
Alycin Hayes sent me a beautiful photo of her late brother, Elliott, to
grace his profile and that of his most famous play, "Homeward Bound." Guess
the Tennessee Williams quote which comes to mind...

Letter of the month:
I often get mail that should be going to theatre companies but how do you
forward this one?
"Dear Sir/ Madam, I would like to know if you have ever used horses in any
of your performances. If yes, I would like to view some pictures thanx in
advance."

On that bright (and odd) note, cheers until next time

New profiles:
Leyshon, Glynis (Director/Actor)
http://www.canadiantheatre.com/l/leyshong.html
Huot, Juliette (Actor)
http://www.canadiantheatre.com/h/huotj.html
Jackson, Andrew (Actor)
http://www.canadiantheatre.com/j/jacksona.html
Surette, Roy (Director) http://www.canadiantheatre.com/s/suretter.html

Updates (P=photo added):
Besre, Jean (Death of); Reviews (27 added); Calendar (1 production added);
Links; Masthead; Pollock, S.; Murrell, J.; Piggery Theatre; Ghost River;
Jacques, Y. (P); Belfry Theatre; Vancouver Playhouse; Clark,  S.; MacLeod,
J.; Greenblatt, R.; "Un simple soldat"; "Bousille et les justes"; "Shylock";
Theatre and Company; Bonnier, C. (P); Feminist Theatre; Moore, M.; CBC;
Archambault, F.; Schipper, S.; Therien, A.; Garnhum, D.; Seatle, D.;
Aboriginal Theatre; Chioran, J.; "Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning,
Juliet)"; Guinand, L.; Phillips, R. (P); Citadel Theatre; Thomson, K.;
Reeves, K.; Manitoba Theatre Centre; Repercussion Theatre; Dinning, J.;
McAuliffe, K.; Champagne, D.; Casabonne, J.; Poulin, J.; St-Aubin, F.;
Lortie, A.; Hayes, E. (P); "Homeward Bound" (P); Leclerc, F. (P); Bujold, G.
(P); Mercure, M. (P); Falcon, M. (P); Martin, A. (P); Pintal, L. (P); Gold,
M. (P);  Gault, C. (P); Alberta Theatre Projects (P); Boucher, S. (P);
MacLeod, J. (P); Chambers, R. (P); playRites (P); Carver, B. (P); Stratford
Festival; Belfry Theatre

If you would like a copy of the entire list of profiles, I can send it to
you by e-mail (there is no charge for this service).

Register your link too (at no charge)!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/links/linksguidelines.html)

Gaetan L. Charlebois (Editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the
WWW) http://www.canadiantheatre.com
If you want to join the Encyclopedia's mailing list, simply send an e-mail
to blajeune at total.net with the subject heading "Mailing list"; if you
subsequently wish to be removed from this mailing list, simply send an
e-mail with the subject heading "Remove"