Fw: Perspectives (Volume 5, number 2) - Security Squeezes Innovation in Federal Budget

Richard Plant rplant at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Wed Dec 19 14:18:52 EST 2001

Hello Everyone:

Here is a recent issue of "Perspectives" for you.

Richard Plant
Subject: Perspectives (Volume 5, number 2) - Security Squeezes Innovation in
Federal Budget

http://www.hssfc.ca/english/policyandadvocacy/perspectives/perspectives.html
> Please address your comments and suggestions to Jacqueline Wright,
> Membership Communications Officer, at: jawright at hssfc.ca.
>
> PERSPECTIVES (Volume 5, Number 2)
> December 12, 2001
>
> Editor: Wayne Kondro
>
> Table of contents:
>
> 1) Introduction
> 2) The fallout
> 3) More fallout
> 4) The spin
> 5) The variable hikes
> 6) The indirect research costs
> 7) The missing
> 8) The other measures
>
> Security Squeezes Innovation in Federal Budget
> SSHRC's share of the granting council pie shrinks
>
> Call it a case of proliferating priorities.
>
> With the national agenda suddenly crowded by security and border concerns
> stemming from the September 11th terrorist attack on the World Trade
Center
> in New York and the global economy in a tailspin, research priorities were
> largely placed on the backburner as Finance minister Paul Martin unveiled
> his first full-scale federal budget in nearly two years.
>
> Erstwhile hopes for a doubling of the Social Sciences & Humanities
Research
> [...]
> doing this?"
>
> Faced with skyrocketing demand for basic research grants and joint
> initiatives like the indefinitely-suspended Community-University Research
> Alliances (CURAs) program, SSHRC had contended it desperately needed a
> major increase to redress the government's historic underfunding of the
> social sciences and humanities. Even Parliament's Industry Committee
> agreed, contending the agency's budget should be doubled.
>
> Faced also with enormous pressure to bolster its support for training the
> next generation of social scientists and humanists, SSHRC pitched for a
> substantial injection of new monies to hike support for doctoral students
> to 20% of enrolment; create a program to support 15% of all full-time
> Masters students and establish a program to provide start-up grants for
> recently-appointed full-time faculty, (see Perspectives, Vol. 5 No. 1).
>
> Asked, in turn, to present a "survival budget," SSHRC drew an
> $18-21-million line in the sand. That was needed to merely maintain a 40%
> success rate in applications for standard research grants, which have
> spiraled at a rate of 20% per year, Renaud said.
>
> With an increase of $9.5-million, bolstered support for graduate training
> "is out of the question," Renaud added. So too is any possibility of
> obliging the CIHR in establishing a series of new joint initiatives, or
> acceding to pressure to formulate some kind of research program related to
> the security agenda, such as additional work on the foundations and forms
> of Islamic terrorism.
>
> The council is now left in the untenable position of choosing between
> maintaining current levels of support for basic research grants or
> scuttling the wildly-successful CURAs, which come up for renewal next
spring.

> "Do we continue to support those CURAs that have been so successful? Or
> maintain our research grants? We just can't do the two at the same time. I
> don't know what this board will decide," Renaud said.
>
> MORE FALLOUT
> The woefully inadequate SSHRC increase invites a campus crisis, Humanities
> & Social Sciences Federation of Canada (HSSFC) president Dr. Patricia
> Clements argued.
>
> "History is taking us well beyond that kind of quibble in the equity
> formula. What's happening in Canadian universities is that professors are
> disappearing. What is required is PhDs but we don't have the resources to
> produce anything like the number of PhDs that will be required in the
> social sciences and humanities. It's no longer a question of arguing over
> bit of the pie here or there. It's now a question of whether we will keep
> our universities functioning effectively," Clements said.
>
> "There's a lack of awareness of the importance of the social sciences and
> humanities on the part of the Finance minister and this government," added
> Canadian Association of University Teachers Executive Director Dr. Jim
Turk.

> [...]
> would be an altogether appropriate use of the funds. "I would hope that a
> paying of indirect costs would help to address the problems that have been
> created in Canadian universities by an imbalanced funding policy."
>
> THE MISSING
> Foremost among many notable absences in the budget was any mention of a
> long-range astronomy plan, under which proponents hoped to obtain roughly
> $17-million/year to buy a stake in two world observatories, create new
> university laboratories for experimental astrophysics and bolster
currently
> inadequate high-performance computing capabilities.
>
> As a result, if Canada is to avoid being relegated to the astronomical
> sidelines, the National Research Council must find room for the plan
within
> the narrow confines of the $110-million/3-years it received to help
> implement its technology clusters strategy.
>
> The bulk of those monies are intended for the new National Institute for
> Nanotechnology in Alberta, the Advanced Aluminium Technology Centre in
> Quebec, a new research program at the Plant Biotechnology Institute in
> Saskatoon entitled  Crops for Enhanced Human Health', and fuel cell
> research in British Columbia.
>
> But the NRC can free-up some of their windfall for the astronomy plan,
said
> a senior Industry official. "A dollar is a dollar is a dollar. To the
> extent the NRC has some flexibility, it might be able to fund the plan.
> They may get creative."
>
> However, president Dr. Arthur Carty said the NRC would have to "scratch
and
> save" just to fund a single component of the $164-million/10-year plan.
>
> Even then, spending $50-million/5-years to buy a 5% stake in the Atacama
> Large Millimeter Array radio telescope that the United States and Europe
> are proposing to build at Llano Chajnantor in the Chilean desert is
> possible only if a $22.6-million infrastructure application that is now
> before the CFI is successful, Carty said. "We just haven't got enough
money
> to do all of the components of the long-range plan."
>
> Also missing in the budget was any reference to a scheme to establish a
new
> entity called the  National Academies of Canada' to provide scientific
> guidance to government and the public, (see Perspectives, Vol. 4 No. 2).
> But Industry officials have clearly pulled ranks behind the proposal as
> sources say it's now firmly entrenched as an element of the forthcoming
> federal White Paper on Innovation.
>
> The budget was equally silent a number of other mega-science proposals,
> including one to create a Biomolecular Interaction Network Database and
> another to rejuvenate information technology departments in universities
> through targeted research in microelectronics, photonics,
opto-electronics,