Big Problems at the encyclopedia

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Thu Jan 4 23:39:12 EST 2001

Hello all

Last month I had a catastophic crash on my computer and lost everything; I
have just gotten the repared computer back.

Needless to say, I have the encyclopedia and its support materials on
diskette but the new hard drive, the 40 or so programs I use, etc. will have
to be reinstalled and configured. Also, my address book for my e-mail
program was lost and I will be digging around for addresses and will have to
reinscribe the 500 or so addresses I use manually; also the
favourites/bookmarks on my browser perished (hundreds of newspaper and
research
and archival sites have to be - in some cases - refound and reinscribed);
updated drivers for all the peripherals have to be found (on the net) and
reinstalled so that I can get things like external disk drives (which hold
the saved enyclopedia and its papers) to work.

This means research and additions to the project have been set back for a
very long time. I have no idea what caused this but a computer which had not
even been paid for yet had to have massively expensive repairs.

I cannot tell you how much of a blow this is to me and the project. It means
step by patient and cautious step recreation of electronic infrastructures
and procedures which took four years to create.

Besides that...happy New Year.

Gaetan Charlebois (editor, Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the WWW)