Encyclopedia News - July 10

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Tue Jul 10 21:51:07 EDT 2001

Hello All

First off, I am very glad to welcome Christopher Hoile onto the advisory
board for the Encyclopedia. He has been a diligent collaborator for some
time, not only contributing reviews to the archive at a mad pace but also
the raw material for many new profiles and updates on many, many others.

Anton Wagner, one of the project's advisors, improved the profile for John
Herbert, several months ago, and wrote the one for Herbert's "Fortune and
Men's Eyes." Anton's work was so solid and interesting that when Herbert
died, June 22, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star used the profiles as
part of their tributes (and mentioned their source...which is nice). Mr.
Herbert had sent me a very kind note to thank me and Anton for the wonderful
profile. All this to say: Just when you think you are tiring of a certain
job, something comes along to keep you going.

But here's one of the reasons I get tired sometimes: A certain lunatic sent
me "a  correction" to the profile for "Henry." Henry who? I asked. He
blasted me (a lot of this: !!!!!!!!!???????). I sent him a terse little note
suggesting he was a rude and that there was more than one "Henry" in
Canadian theatre. Check out the reply - our featured letter (all-caps
are...sigh...his; some "language" has been removed):
LISTEN PAL,
YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE BEING RUDE. YOU HAVE HAVE A SIGHT WITH INCORRECT
INFORMATION, AND I WAS ONLY SUGGESTING THAT PERHAPS YOU MIGHT WANT TO
CORRECT
IT, CONSIDERING THAT YOU LEAVE THE MEANS( AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SIGHT)
AVAILABLE
TO THE PUBLIC FOR COMMENT OR OPINION.  PERHAPS I MAY SUGGEST SOMETHING ELSE
YOU
CAN DO WITH YOUR 1400 PROFILES. YOU CAN TAKE YOUR ENCYCLOPEDIA
OF CANADIAN THEATRE, AND DUST IT OFF REAL NICE, THEN "GAY"TAN, YOU CAN TAKE
THAT
ENCYCLOPEDIA, TURN THAT ===== SIDEWAYS, AND STICK IT STRAIGHT UP YOUR
FRANCOPHONE ====. MAYBE THIS WILL HELP MATTERS MOVE ALONG MUCH MORE QUICKLY.
HOPE YOU WORK OUT THAT GAY PRIDE ISSUE.

You could laugh (as I did) or cry. Life is bittersweet, ain't it?

New Profiles:
Whitfield, Michael J. (Designer)
http://www.canadiantheatre.com/w/whitfieldm.html
Poch-Goldin, Alex (Writer/Actor)
http://www.canadiantheatre.com/p/pochgoldina.html
Ljunghe, Esse (Writer, director)
http://www.canadiantheatre.com/l/ljunghe.html

Updates (P=Photo added):
Herbert, John (Death of); Reviews (26 added); Masthead; Domville, P.; Pitre,
L.; Bolam, E. (P); Geordie Productions (P); Nardi, T. (P); Designing;
Stratford; Coleman, L.; "The League of Nathans"; Nightwood Theatre; Peacock,
L.; McKennitt, L.; Cimolino, A.; King, R.; Dolan, J.; Best, W.; McKellar,
D.; CBC; Radio Drama; Mitchell, K.; Henry, M.; Dale, C.; Youtheatre;
Aboriginal Theatre; Burkett, R.; Copithorne, M.; Sterling Awards; Henry, M.;
Pitre, L.; Mirvish, E.; Mirvish, D.; Soulpepper Theatre Company; Tarragon
Theatre; McCormack, E.; Chouinard, N.; Leger, V.; Lyne, S.; Just For Laughs;
Rolland, F.; English Language Theatre in Quebec; Sutto, J.

If you would like a copy of the entire list of profiles, I can send it to
you by e-mail (there is no charge for this service).

Register your link too (at no charge)!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/links/linksguidelines.html)

Gaetan L. Charlebois (Editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the
WWW) http://www.canadiantheatre.com
If you want to join the Encyclopedia's mailing list, simply send an e-mail
to blajeune at total.net with the subject heading "Mailing list"; if you
subsequently wish to be removed from this mailing list, simply send an
e-mail with the subject heading "Remove"