Antigones

BOURASSA ANDRE G bourassa.andre_g at UQAM.CA
Sun Jul 29 16:43:50 EDT 2001

Bonjour!
Rhere has been a production of _Antigone_ in Greek at the Collège de
Montréal in 1895. I gave an illustration of it to the _Oxford Compa to
Cabadianb Theatre_ for my entry on the Ermitage (p. 188), but you will
find it in the article of someone else, (p. 171>. One could see on this
picture priests in the audience following the play with a copy of the
text.

There has been a translation by Jesuit students, notably Édouard Hamel and
Claude Sumner, under the direction of Father Marcel Gareau, in 1942-1943.
It was followed by a mise en scène by Father jacques Lewis, in 1943. The
translation has been edited by the Maison Saint-Joseph, at the
Sault-au-Récollet (Montreal), in the Jesuit Frangipani collection, n° 16,
but no dates were printed (I got those of the translation and the
production to-day, from Gareau and Lewis, but not the one of the edition).

There has been a production at the Nouvelle Compagnie Théâtrale (now
Théâtre Denise-Pelletier), 18 March - 14 April 1975, under the direction
of Roger Citerne [Vleminckz]. They may tell you, at T.D>P., which
translation they used. Citerne, a T.V. director, whose brother Gérard
directed a private theatre school at Montréal, Studio XV, did also teach
history of theatre at the Conservatoire de théâtre de Montréal.
Amitiés, André G. Bourassa <bourassa.andre_g at uqam.ca>.