Fw: Performance, Homes and Gardens 2001

denis d.salter at VIDEOTRON.CA
Mon Jun 4 15:04:11 EDT 2001

Dear Colleagues,

CPR conferences are something special indeed--unlike any other ones that I know.
Perhaps parts of them might serve as a model for incorporation within more traditional "academic" conferences on theatre/performance etc etc
I thought this might be of interest to you--and to your students.
As ever, apologies for any cross listings.

D.

----- Original Message -----
From: Rachel Rogers
To: rer at aber.ac.uk
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2001 6:53 AM
Subject: Performance, Homes and Gardens 2001

POINTS OF CONTACT: PERFORMANCE, HOMES & GARDENS
In search of ex [site] ment

An itinerant conference including: PERFORMANCES, PRACTICAL SESSIONS, EXCURSIONS, PAPERS, FEASTS, DISCUSSIONS & SCREENINGS with UK and international guest contributors.

THURSDAY 26 JULY - evening
FRIDAY 27 JULY - all day and evening
SATURDAY 28 JULY - all day and evening
SUNDAY 29 JULY - all day and evening
MONDAY 30 JULY - until 2pm

"In this coloured world of television, gardening was the white cane of a blind man."
                                                                                              JERZY KOSINSKI, BEING THERE

"Like a shot in a film, whose composition illustrates a purpose beyond just the communicative or factual, a garden or landscape is determined."
                                 MICHAEL TARANTINO, ENCLOSED & ENCHANTED: ET IN ARCADIA EGO
www.thecpr.org.uk

Question: When is a conference not a conference? (answer below)

POINTS OF CONTACT
PERFORMANCE, HOMES & GARDENS
26 - 30 July 2001

"and then - she found herself at last in the beautiful garden, among the bright flower beds and cool fountains."
                                                LEWIS CARROLL, ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

ANSWER: When it is a CPR conference.

Continuing the CPR tradition for a high quality conference staged in an individual way.

Using site visits and excursions to some of Wales' most enduring garden and home heritage, blending opportunities for participation and gaining knowledge, the conference brings together renowned artists, thinkers and writers across disciplines and cultures to consider performance, homes and gardens- and its relation to wider ideas about class, nationality, history, memory, the politics of land use, and the future of art practice. Site-specific work has turned away from the grand-spectacle to the intimate and the everyday. At the same time, the garden as the "outdoor living room", as the attempt to structure nature, as the place to nurture, and as a project of space and architecture, has begun to fascinate many performance artists as a site for new work and performance journeys: itinerant, fragile and ephemeral. What do the ways in which we engage with domestic space through performance tell us about the wider cultures in which we live? How are domestic spaces differently performed within other cultural contexts and how are the new politics of land and space being refigured today through the work of artists currently working in homes and gardens around the world?

Whether you're an artist, performer, student, or scholar or simply intrigued by what goes on beyond gate and door, join us for an engaging practical exploration of performance, homes and gardens in Wales and beyond. The programme will include: excursions, performances, practical sessions,
scholarly papers, games, screenings and illustrated talks.

EXCURSIONS
>>From Italianate and architectural gardens to 3 bed semis and the extraordinary Norman Foster dome at the National Botanic Garden in Wales.

PERFORMANCES
>>From the intimate or domestic encounter to the blood, sweat and tears of garden creation.

PRACTICAL SESSIONS
>>From personal account to practical instruction; individual and group projects and 'games'.

SCHOLARLY PAPERS & ILLUSTRATED TALKS
Unusual presentations and provocations by scholars and artists including: Bonnie Marranca (US); Gautam Dasgupta (US) Ute Ritschel (Ger) and Mary Lemley (UK).

FILM, DVD SCREENINGS
Where film has used gardens and homes - From Peter Sellers in 'Being There' to Derek Jarman's 'The Garden'.

As this brochure goes to print, specific elements of the programme are still being finalised, but key sites will be: Thursday 26th BEARINGS Registration, followed by a keynote address and a choice of performances.

Friday 27th DAY ONE POINTS NORTH
3 mini-buses will take 3 different routes in pursuit of 'The Construction of the Fabulous' our excursions will include: Sir Clough Williams-Ellis' architectural fantasy village at Portmeirion and his own architectural garden at Plas Brondanw; Blaenau Ffestiniog & Corris; presentations throughout the day drawing together themes and concerns, followed by a choice of performances and late-night screenings.

Saturday 28th DAY TWO POINTS SOUTH
Choose between minibuses and routes for a day of 'Reconstruction and Memory ' with excursions to the recently opened National Botanic Gardens; the newly restored historic gardens at Aberglasney - with their yew tunnel, lake and cloister garden - to Parc Dinefwr, with its landscape design attributed to Capability Brown, a restored ice house and summer house, and a twilight trip
to nearby Hafod, where Thomas Johnes' picturesque 'retreat from the urban' resulted in the creation of his country house estate in the 18th Century. The evening will feature a garden barbecue and outdoor screening.

Sunday 29th DAY THREE POINTS EAST:
Gregynog Hall was the atmospheric home of the Davies sisters, famous for its sunken lawns and zig-zag hedge of yew; it forms our base for a day-long residency and 'sleep-over' with an excursion to nearby Powis Castle & Gardens - including woodland wilderness and orangery - Andrew Logan's Museum of Sculpture - an absurd and funny celebration of his work; and participatory projects inside the house and within the grounds, culminating in an evening 'entertainment' in 'living response' to homes and gardens.

Monday 30th DEPARTURES
Concluding events and discussions and final lunch followed by departures.

POINTS OF CONTACT
At each event care is taken to forge links between people and ideas and to create formal and informal opportunities for people to exchange information about current and future projects. Books and tapes by current contributors and on related topics, often unavailable elsewhere, will also be on display and for sale.

Recent Points of Contact have included: 'Performance, Places and Pasts' (1998) - a series of field trips in mini-buses traversing Wales; 'Performance, Tourism and Identity' (1996) - staged as an itinerant package holiday; 'Performance, Food and Cookery (1994) - included: cook-ins, feasts
and cookery demonstrations.

BOOKING INFORMATION
Registration fee includes: all performance and tourists tickets; access to all discussions/showings/demonstrations/conference papers; and Friday/Saturday/Sunday evening meals and Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday lunch as well as afternoon tea and morning coffee. The CPR has a reputation for providing high quality food and the meals are included in the fee rather
than offered separately in order to increase the opportunity for collective and informal conference discussion. Accommodation is not included except for the Sunday night at Gregynog, when each delegate will have a single ensuite room and breakfast. Accommodation for other nights is not included , a list of reasonably-priced local hostelries is provided. Performance, Homes and Gardens has been designed so that participants can take in the whole conference or simply come for a day. As an itinerant event, places are limited, so book early. For ACCESS information and to book
contact Elen Chick.

Registration Fees (including food and Sunday night accommodation at Gregynog): £29 (Institutional); £225 (Individual waged); £185 (Individual unwaged)

Daily Rate: £85 (Institutional); £60 (Waged); £40 (Unwaged) Please add £20 for Sunday night bookings at the daily rate.

A 10% discount is available to all full members of CPR.

Participants can book by completing a booking form (available by emailing eec at aber.ac.uk or telephoning +44 (0)1970 622133) and submitting either payment in full or a deposit of £50 (pounds sterling). Payments can be made by UK cheque, International Money Order or Credit Card.

ACCOMMODATION
Sunday night at Gregynog is included in the fee, other nights must be arranged separately. Please request a local accommodation list, when booking.

TRAVEL
All transport during the course of the conference is included within your fee. Once you have arrived in Aberystwyth relax, and let us navigate for you.

Aberystwyth is served by good road and rail links. Approximate journey times
by car are:
>>From Cardiff, 2 hours
Manchester, 3-4 hours
London, 4-5 hours
Centre for Performance Research (CPR)
Unit 6,
Science Park
Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
SY23 3AH
Tel: +44 (0) 1970 622133
Fax: +44 (0) 1970 622132
Email: cprwww at aber.ac.uk
Web: www.thecpr.org.uk

CPR is a company limited by guarantee (Reg. No. 231 570) The Centre for Performance Research at Aberystwyth is a joint venture between the University of Wales Aberystwyth and the Centre for Performance Research Ltd. The Centre for Performance Research Ltd. Works with the support of the Arts Council of Wales and is an Educational Charity (No. 7015440 limited by guarantee (Reg. No. 2315790)

Apologies for cross postings.