Fw: Dr Patrick Dixon - live Webcam from his futurist cyberbubble.htm

denis d.salter at VIDEOTRON.CA
Fri Jun 8 09:47:03 EDT 2001

Dr Patrick Dixon - live Webcam from his futurist cyberbubble

What are the implications of this for our teaching, especially in, say, the performing arts?
Denis.

        FUTURE

                Welcome to Dr Patrick Dixon's Live Webcams

      Desk (92 inch videowall)                Studio equipment  / desk

      View of London rooftops / weather         Digital TV - interactive

      Composite images from 4-5 webcams inside home, office and outside refresh automatically every few seconds most of the day and night.  Some ISPs only allow new images every few minutes.  Recent images - see below.

      Live free webcams are a vital part of cyberworld, the equivalent of walking down the street and looking through a window or watching people at leisure / work.  My London "cyber-bubble" is a radio and TV studio broadcasting on BBC Radio and Now TV / videoconference suite / virtual reality environment.  I give interviews about the future most weeks on Now TV, transmitted across Asia, including Hong Kong, Malaysia and India using just the net to send video to the satellite TV company, and a phone headset for sound.  Live webcams on this page also follow the whole thing on the net.  In fact you may be watching a live personal web broadcast right now.

      The cyberbubble can function as an office - but in a virtual world "office" is everywhere: in my pocket or case - plane, train, car, hotel room, conference facility.  Soon we will have mobile webcams on every up-market mobile phone. The only reasons left for conventional offices are to breath the same air as others you work with or to use a purpose- built facility like this one. My two megabits per second permanent BT Openworld ADSL connection is up to 40 times faster than an ordinary phone modem yet uses the same old pair of copper wires.  The net then goes wireless on an encrypted ethernet throughout the house and garden so everyone in the family everywhere can use it.

      Being online all the time with no time-based charges means a total communication revolution. A live personal webcam is just a tiny part of that.  Phone calls via the web, two way true video streaming and sound across 12,000 miles 24 hours a day - all for zero added costs.  You can call via the web for free from the UK to ordinary phones in the US.... and this is just the first day of the digital age. Expect the same for Canada, Japan, Germany, France, Italy, China, Australia etc. Sites like Popster.com promise free webcam live broadcasts of video / sound to up to 20 people at a time 24 hours a day.  The software is also free and uses Windows MediaPlayer 7.0.

      Webcam images over last few weeks:

      The cyber-bubble is also heavily used by others - for widescreen digital movies / TV with surround sound.  The two webcam views immediately above are front and back in the same physical space. Bookmark this webcam page and use it when we next talk on the phone.

      The cyberbubble uses chroma-key technology which means that whatever is behind me disappears and is replaced by - for example - a huge computer screen, or a virtual view from Manhattan, or the City of London.  Weather forecasters use the same technology on TV, standing in front of a blue screen. Nothing is what it appears to be in a virtual world.

      World's first injectable PC ?

      Is old-style videoconferencing dead? (RealVideo)