FW: help me with my thesis?!

Denis Johnston drj at SHAWFEST.COM
Sat Nov 17 14:12:17 EST 2001

I generally refer them to Library resources, as I did in this case, and
encourage them to contact me again if they need further information.
They never do, as the library resources always provide more than they
need (if indeed they follow up on my advice).

That way, I get to be Mr Nice Guy, without it really costing me (or my
employer) very much time. Students need to learn that the Internet as a
research tool has very limited areas of usefulness. Getting them into
library resources is one way of trying to achieve that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter D. Smith [mailto:psmith at NBNET.NB.CA]
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 6:07 PM
To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
Subject: Re: FW: help me with my thesis?!

This is very similar to a lot of requests that I get at Imperial
Theatre,
especially at this time of year!!  Usually someone who wants someone
else
to do their work for them--I just got an email claiming that the Saint
John
library has nothing on the theatre (it does, in several branches), and
that
there is nothing on the Internet, either (lots and lots, including lots
of
links from our website).

I used to respond with a message saying, in effect, "do your own work";
now, unless it is a [signed] message asking for some *specific*
information, not a complete data dump, I ignore these.

How do you others respond?

Peter D. Smith
General Manager
Imperial Theatre
Saint John, NB

At 02:42 PM 11/16/2001 -0500, Gaetan wrote:
>Anyone care to help this person out?
>
>Cheers.
>
>Gaetan
>
>----------
>From: "Katarina Farkas" <perles at matavnet.hu>
>Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 20:18:31 +0100
>To: <blajeune at total.net>
>Subject: help me with my thesis?!
>
>Hello!
>I was just having a look at your encyclopedia entries, and I decided to
>contact you, hoping there is someone who could help me.
>I'm studying English Literature and History at ELTE University in
>Budapest, Hungary and I have a problem with finding material for my
>thesis. The title is: The Development of Theatre Life in British
Columbia: