Play indexing

Cindy Murrell cmurrell at UCALGARY.CA
Tue Dec 10 11:13:50 EST 2002

I would like to appeal to the list for their combined knowledge of
theatre libraries across North America.

As some of you in Canada know, the University of Calgary Library has
long maintained an index of plays in collections, anthologies,
periodicals, and in our special collections/archives manuscript
collection as a local finding tool for our users.  Of course, this index
only includes items which are held at the U of C.  While I realize that
many of these items can be found through using various printed and
online indexes, this did provide one-stop retrieval for our users.  And
many of these items were not accessible through other sources.

We are now in the very preliminary stages of contemplating digitization
of this index.  But before even starting to explore this possibility, I
would like to know how many other libraries maintain similar files.  How
are they accessible?  Are they in online catalogues, or are they only
accessible on site?  Am I ignorant of some wonderful site or publication
which already does all this?  I really don't want to reinvent the
wheel!  I am certainly aware of the excellent work done in the Wilson
publication Play Index, but I believe that this is primarily American
and British publications, including no non-English language material and
nothing from periodicals.  And, last, but certainly not least, would
such an online source (assuming it doesn't already exist without my
being aware of it), be of use to anyone?

Apologies for cross-posting and thanks for helping with this.

Cindy Murrell
Performing Arts Library
University of Calgary