FYI: Theatre by Design Conference January 24, 25, 2003

Brian Quirt bquirt at INTERLOG.COM
Thu Dec 12 18:30:58 EST 2002

----------
From:  Luella Massey <l.massey at utoronto.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:38:04 -0500
To:  l.massey at utoronto.ca
Subject: Theatre by Design Conference January 24, 25, 2003

Please forward:

Theatre by Design: Scenography in Canada

January 24 - 25, 2003

Robert Gill Theatre
214 College Street
University of Toronto

The Graduate Centre for Study of Drama is pleased to announce their
upcoming conference  Theatre by Design: Scenography in Canada, the first

conference in which theatre artists and scholars will come together to
engage in a dialogue and deal with the specificity of design for
performance.

This conference will launch a distinct initiative in the study of
theatre in Canada.  It takes as its focus to learn how to learn about
theatre design through the collaboration with a selection of designers,
many of whom are ready to contribute their manifestos on their art.
Speaking at the conference will be Canadian theatre designers of set,
costume, lighting and sound; directors who make scenography integral to
their staging; and architects who are increasingly turning to stage
design.  The conference takes the inclusive critical term scenography
for its subtitle to encourage a discussion of the relationships between
visual and aural design for performance.

Our keynote speaker is Michael Levine who has designed internationally
for the Paris Opera, the English National Opera, Lyric Opera of Chicago
as well as for the Canadian Opera Company, the National Ballet, Shaw
Festival, Tarragon Theatre and most recently Dancemakers.  We are also
expecting Philip Beesley, Susan Benson, Daniel Brooks, Claude Goyette,
John Gzowski, Astrid Jansen, Ken MacDonald, Paul Mathiesen, Morris
Panych, Teresa Pryzbylski, Banuta Rubess and Nancy Tobin.

We invite you to join us in this unique opportunity to hear the
languages of design first hand, and to engage in an important critical
exploration of these artistsÂ’ works.

We are grateful for the generous assistance of the School of Graduate
Studies, University of Toronto.

Registration:$40/$20students and seniors
University of Toronto students free
To register: http://gradrama.sa.utoronto.ca/design2003
416-978-7986
candesign2003 at yahoo.ca

Convenors: Natalie Rewa, Department of Drama, QueenÂ’s University
       John Astington, Graduate Centre for Study of Drama, University of

Toronto