TIME FOR REVOLUTION? WILL THE PLAY GO ON?

dkeith dkeith at SILK.NET
Tue Feb 5 20:41:19 EST 2002

I am a high school drama teacher with 31 years of experience. I need your help and support.

I have never cancelled a show, and I have worked under many political dicatorships , yet this year because of the recent events in B.C. Politics I am facing the withdrawal of all my voluntary extra-curricular work, aka directing a play.

Our school is well known and respected for the high quality of our work, and over the last 20 years we have produced some of the greatest plays of dramatic literature, from Sophocles to Shakespeare, Brecht to Miller.

Our recent repertory included The Crucible,The Good Woman of Setzuan, Aristophanes' The Birds, an original production of Frankenstein (written and directed by my colleague), and my personal favorite, Our Country's Good,

We always try to pick plays which have a strong social or political context because we enjoy teaching our students that theatre has an important social function, and should challenge the audience to think.

This year we decided to dedicate the entire year to Shakespeare, and we have already mounted a production of Twelfth Night.
The second play, Much Ado About Nothing has been cast, the sets and costumes designed, ready to go into rehearsal, and we are faced with the possibility of canceling the show as a protest to the B.C Government and their draconian legislation. Drama teachers are withdrawing their voluntary services in many school districts.

I have a wonderful group of talented students, and they have already indicated  that if we cancel the play they are behind us 100%. They want us to stand up for what we believe in. They put it in writing, and are following up with some individual political protests of their own.

After many sleepless nights I have decided that we should continue with a play, maybe not Much Ado, but something a bit edgier, a play about civil rights, or oppressive governments, or standing up for yourself. These are the lessons I want to teach my students through theatre. I want to wake them from their feeling of helplessness. Me too. This is the only way I know to teach. I don't want to miss an opportunity to give the students a special voice in this difficult time.I have a plan, but I am struggling to find a script.

I welcome suggestions of scripts - ensemble works are preferred. (25-35 actors)I will direct it class time only (this is a Performance class, and we meet outside the timetable) so I am limited to a few hours a week. Our protest only covers extra-curricular, voluntary time.The production dates are late April, so we have time to produce "one hell of a barn storming 50-75 minute, shake your bones, noisy protest." Suggestion and comments please. Should I cancel, carry on with Much Ado About Nothing, or...

Please forward your ideas.

I thank you in advance.

Don Keith
Kelowna Secondary School