Fw: Barnstorming

dkeith dkeith at SILK.NET
Fri Feb 8 13:48:59 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: John Lazarus
To: dkeith
Cc: Richard Plant
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 6:44 AM
Subject: Barnstorming

Dear Don,

Nice to hear from you, even if (or especially?) in this roundabout way.

"The Crucible" springs to mind, though you'd have some chopping and channelling to do, to get it down to 75 minutes.

Is there a one-act stage version of "Animal Farm"? Though it's not really about fighting back, is it? It's more about governments that fail to keep their promises and become tyrannical and uncaring. Gee, I wonder if that would be relevant...

There's always the old American '30s leftist barnstormers like "Waiting for Lefty", "The Cradle Will Rock", etc.

None of these is Canadian, of course, and I tend to agree with Richard that a Canadian offering would be nice. Have you looked into the George Ryga oeuvre? Not always my favourite playwright, but politically impassioned, and even local, yet. (Well, regional.) Also, are you familiar with Peter Anderson's version of "Lysistrata"? Bob Metcalfe directed it at Studio 58 a couple of years ago, and may have a copy and/or some good advice. In fact, you might just want to talk to Bob anyway, as a resource (in case you hadn't thought of him). Meanwhile, I will continue to mull this over and try to come up with some brilliant suggestions.

Best wishes in the ongoing struggle. In some ways I miss B.C.; in some ways, I think I got out just in time.

Regards, John