Call for Scripts

Ron Chambers ron.chambers at ULETH.CA
Wed Feb 13 16:20:43 EST 2002

The University of Lethbridge Faculty of Fine Arts, Department of Theatre

and Dramatic Arts invites Canadian playwrights to submit previously
unproduced plays for development during a six-week summer theatre
company (May 13 to June 21, 2002).  The company will workshop and offer
public performances of up to three scripts.

The successful playwrights will receive a stipend of $2,533.00 each
(subject to applicable payroll deductions) for a two-week residency in
the following time blocks:

· May 13 to May 24
· May 27 to June 7
· June 10 to June 21

The playwright will be responsible for travel and accommodation costs.
On-campus accommodation (not including meals) ranges from $14.75 to
$28.23 per night.  Off-campus accommodation is also available.

The playwright’s application should include:

· An unbound copy of the script.
· A detailed resume of the playwright’s writing experience and, if
applicable, teaching experience.
· A letter indicating the specific goals of the playwright.
· Two letters of support from members of the Canadian theatre community
familiar with the playwright’s work.
· Any additional supporting documents.

Deadline for applications is April 2, 2002.  Successful applicants will
be advised on or before April 15, 2002.

Completed applications should be sent to:

Ron Chambers
Department of Theatre and Dramatic Arts
University of Lethbridge
4401 University Drive
Lethbridge, Alberta
T1K 3M4
Office: (403) 329-2074
Fax: (403) 329-5105
ron.chambers at uleth.ca

"The workshop of  Foundlings at U of L last summer was wonderfully
helpful for me as a playwright.  I came out of the workshop with a
stronger, more focused script and I think the students came away with a
great hands-on experience of developing a new play, which is what a lot
of the work in Canadian theatre is all about." –Kathleen McDonnell,
playwright, Toronto