MUCH ADO AND MUCH MORE

dkeith dkeith at SILK.NET
Sun Feb 17 11:05:22 EST 2002

Dear Colleagues,

RE: TO DO MUCH ADO OR TO CANCEL IN PROTEST - BUSINESS AS USUAL?

Thank you all for your advice. I have decided to cancel the production of Much Ado About Nothing. This was a very difficult decision, but I knew that I had to voice my protest. Many teachers are carrying on as before with extra-curricular, and many are not. It's a personal choice and I respect that. Their is friction and moral is low.

I probably would have changed my mind if one parent, only one parent had come to see me and said how valuable this program is for their kids. I was that close to the edge. The only comment I got from the admin was to tell them if I was going to cancel for next year because they wanted to change the course description booklet in time.

I guess the line is now drawn in the sand. Gordon Campbell gets the "no frills education system he wants"

I have decided to organize and chair a conference on the role of Arts in Education for next Spring in Kelowna. I have spoken to many local people who have already indicated support and help. I believe there is still a need to be proactive, and I believe we have to mobilize, collect our thoughts and present a united front. We need to inspire each other. We need to galvanize our thinking in preparation for the IDEA Conference in Ottawa in 2oo4.

I am looking for the following:

1. a name for the conference

2. suggestions for keynote speakers

3. suggestions for workshops

4. suggestions for performers

5. suggestions for format

6. contacts for the organizing committee

7. conflicts or coordination with other events.

8. who should be invited - do you want to be invited?

Please let me know your ideas. Hopefully we will meet in Kelowna in the Spring of 2003

Thanks again

Don Keith