New Book by Alan Filewod

James Hoffman jhoffman at CARIBOO.BC.CA
Tue Jul 2 13:55:32 EDT 2002

"This book offers a radical rethinking of the conceptual foundations of
Canadian theatre and, by extension, the Canadian nation which that theatre
performs."

So begins a new, major work by Alan Filewod, one of Canada's leading
theatre scholars. We are very pleased to announce the publication of

        PERFORMING CANADA: THE NATION

        ENACTED IN THE IMAGINED THEATRE

This is the first in a series of monographs,
"CRITICAL PERFORMANCE/S IN CANADA" published by our journal
Textual Studies in Canada.

This full-length, well-illustrated work, begins with a (re)consideration of
The Theatre of Neptune in New France (1606), in order to make the case
that, "all of Canadian theatre, and the nation it stages, can be seen as a
replaying of The Theatre of Neptune, a constant historical citation and
recitation of the postcolonial crisis of authenticity and displacement."
There are major discussions on patriotic and military mise en scene, the
Stratford Festival and Vincent Massey, the Mummers Troupe's They Club
Seals, Don't They?, and Garth Drabinsky and Show Boat...and many others!

Chapter headings are as follows:

        Introduction
        Chapter One: National Theatre and Imagined Authenticities
        Chapter Two: The Nation on Parade: The Empire as Mise en Scene
        Chapter Three: The Theatrical Federalism of Vincent Massey
        Chapter Four: Dissent on Ice: The Mummers Enact the Public Sphere
        Chapter Five: The Spectacular Nation of Garth Drabinsky
        Conclusion: The Nations Invented in the Surrogative Theatre

This publication: 119 pages, in 8 1/2 by 11 format, includes illustrations,
works cited, index; ISBN: 0-9681188-5-2. Copies are available at $12 each.
We believe this is going to be a seminal work in Canadian performance
studies! To order, please contact our journal secretary, Denise Comtois, at:

        dcomtois at cariboo.bc.ca

James Hoffman and Katherine Sutherland,
Editors, Textual Studies in Canada
Monograph Series

James Hoffman, Professor of Theatre
Dept. of Visual & Performing Arts
University College of the Cariboo
P.O. Box 3010, Kamloops, British Columbia
Canada, V2C 5N3
Voice 250-828-5315, Fax 250-371-5697
http://www.cariboo.bc.ca/ae/vpa/jhoffman/home.htm