Unauthorized renovations of Joy Kogawa Home in Vancouver

awagner awagner at YORKU.CA
Fri Dec 5 15:30:32 EST 2003

Dear Friends,

As per the information below, we received word yesterday that significant unauthorized alterations were going on at the Kogawa family home in Vancouver, immortalized in Joy's classic novel Obasan. Please find below my message to Mayor Campbell and the Vancouver City Council informing them of the situation and asking them to take immediate action.

Could you send a similar message to the Vancouver City Council and ask anyone else you know of to do the same? The email address to send to would be
mayorandcouncil at city.vancouver.bc.ca Thank you for your assistance. Best wishes, Anton.

----- Original Message -----
From: awagner
To: mayorandcouncil at city.vancouver.bc.ca

Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 1:34 PM
Subject: Unauthorized renovations of Joy Kogawa Home at 1450 West 64th Ave.

Dear Mayor Campbell and Vancouver City Councillors,

The Vancouver Heritage Commission and the Vancouver Heritage Foundation have both recommended to the Vancouver City Council that the former Joy Kogawa home at 1450 West 64th Avenue, immortalized in Joy's novel Obasan about the forced evacuations and internment of Japanese Canadians during W.W.II, be listed as an "A" heritage designated building.

The new owner of the building has rushed to make significant changes to the house despite attempts by the Vancouver Heritage Commission to meet with the owner to discuss the cultural and heritage significance of the building and the need for its preservation.

Alterations to the house began two days ago and may be irreparable by the time the Vancouver Heritage Commission meets with the new owner on Monday. I urge you to take action
immediately to preserve the cultural and heritage integrity of the Kogawa home. This is a cultural matter of great interest to people across Canada and internationally, as indicated by the hundreds of letters of support posted on our website
http://kogawa.homestead.com

As Vancouver prepares for the Olympic Games, this question of how the City preserves its cultural heritage, as shown by how Vancouver City Council responds to this emergency with the Joy Kogawa home, will be of great interest to Canadians and visitors to Canada. Please act now to save the Joy Kogawa home. Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Anton Wagner,
Secretary, Joy Kogawa
Homestead Committee