Job Advertisement

Michael McKinnie m.r.mckinnie at BHAM.AC.UK
Fri Feb 28 10:39:48 EST 2003

Dear Candrama,

Apologies for cross posting.  I would like to draw your attention to the
advertisement that appeared in today's Times Higher Education Supplement,
which is for three jobs in the Department of Drama and Theatre Arts at the
University of Birmingham, United Kingdom.  If you are, or a candidate you
can recommend is, interested in working in Britain in an established Drama
programme, we welcome applications.  I have pasted the text of the ad below.

N.B.:  For those of you who are unfamiliar with the ways that academic jobs
are classified in Britain, a Lecturer A is analogous to an Assistant
Professor and a Lecturer B is roughly analogous to an Assistant Professor
with several years experience or an Associate Professor who has advanced to
this position in the past few years.

Best,

Michael McKinnie

> Three Lectureships at Birmingham
>
> An advert for the following jobs will be appearing in the THES this
> Friday.
>

> A31028/03
> Lecturer in Drama (2 Posts)
> Lecturer B in Drama (1 Post)
> Department of Drama and Theatre Arts
> School of Humanities, University of Birmingham
> Full Time
> On a range of £22,191-£25,451
> Lec B/ £26,270-£33,679
> Permanent
> Closing date: 21 March 2003
> For Application forms:0121 414 4802
> Returnable to: The Director of Personnel Services
> The University of Birmingham
> Edgbaston
> Birmingham
> B15 2TT
>
> The Department
> The Department of Drama and Theatre arts was established in
> the 1960’s. Increased student numbers and changes in the
> dynamics of staff research interests have seen the degree move
> towards one which aims to reflect intellectual movements within
> the discipline, as well as integrate practical and production work
> with critically interrogative classroom teaching
> Research
> The department has identified research strengths in the following
> areas:
> ·   Theatre, Politics and Ideology: this includes work on
>   post-colonial theatre, Irish Theatre and Canadian
>   Theatre and theatre and the state.
> ·   Theatre Historiography: this includes work on 20th C
>   British theatres, theatre and urban development, and
>   gender and representation in theatre and performance.
> ·   Actor training and Theories of Acting: this includes work
>   on Russian and East European practice.
> Essential:
> ·   To have a research programme or potential research
>   programme, that challenges the dominant conceptual
>   models and methods of theatre research, and have an
>   ability to contribute to national and international research
>   frameworks;
> ·   Experience of teaching at undergraduate level;
> ·   PhD (or be close to completion);
> ·   Demonstrate commitment to the investigation of the
>   social/historical conditions of theatre and performance;
> ·   Demonstrate expertise in, and the ability to develop
>   critical and theoretical perspectives on theatre and
>   performance practice;
> ·   Demonstrate a willingness to undertake appropriate
>   administration tasks.
>
> Desirable:
> ·   To have successfully published personal research;
> ·   Experience of teaching at postgraduate level;
> ·   Relevant experience in teaching and curriculum
>   development;
> ·   Experience of module and course development.
>
> Departmental Staff
> Reader/Head of Department: Dr Maggie Gale
> Senior Lecturer: Dr Brian Crow
> Lecturer: Dr Bella Martin (currently on secondment to the Royal
> National Theatre)
> [...]

_______________________________________
Dr. Michael McKinnie
Department of Drama and Theatre Arts