Developmental Dramaturgy Exercises?

Judith Rudakoff rudakoff at YORKU.CA
Tue Jul 22 13:24:06 EDT 2003

Hello everyone. In August, I've been invited to facilitate workshops in
several of the Townships outside Cape Town, South Africa. These workshops
are to focus on eliciting material for a play that will then be created by
the participants and a playwright from Cape Town. I will continue as
dramaturg. The theme that is of particular interest and focus to the
workers organizing this project is claiming and exercising individual
voice and identity. While I've done this type of workshop before, this
time I'm challenged by the fact that in addition to being part of a
disadvantaged community, one of the groups I'm to work with is differently
abled and the other is functionally illiterate.

I'd like to hear from anyone who might have developmental dramaturgy
exercises that they'd like to share which they've used or conceived
specifically for people who are not able to read/write with any fluency
and also for people who are differently abled. You can reply to me off
list, at rudakoff at yorku.ca

I leave for South Africa at the beginning of August, so I'd greatly
appreciate any responses sooner rather than later!

Judith

Judith Rudakoff (Dr.)
Associate Professor, Theatre Department
and
Fellow,Centre for Research in Latin America and the Caribbean
331 Centre for Film & Theatre
York University                         Tell me and I may forget
4700 Keele Street                       Explain to me and I may remember
Toronto, Ontario                        Involve me and I will understand

Voice mail: 416-736-2100, Extension 44578