Fw: Manitoba workshops

Rebecca Burton becca_burton3 at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 22 13:06:26 EDT 2003

Winnipeg's Sarasvati Productions is having an exciting festival of one act
plays by women, accompanied by some interesting workshops and panels.

Details are below.

My apologies for any cross-postings.

Cheers,

Rebecca
-----------------
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 6:51 PM
Subject: workshops

> Please pass this along!!
>
> As part of FemFest: A Festival of One-Act Plays by Women, Sarasvati
Productions will be offering several workshops of interest to theatre
artists and playwrights in particular.  And yes, they are open to men as
well!

> Master Class with Linda Griffiths
> Saturday, June 7th, 4pm-6pm
> Colin Jackson Studio Theatre
> Playwright and actor Linda Griffiths is the author of eight plays, the
winner of five Dora Mavor Moore awards, a Gemini award, and two Chalmers'
awards, and she has twice been nominated for the Governor General's Award.
Her plays include Chronic, Alien Creature: A visitation from Gwendolyn
MacEwen, The Darling Family, Maggie and Pierre.  Linda will tell the story
of her initiation into the mysteries of improvisation as a way to write
plays, and of her experiences as a hybrid (playwright/slash/actor).  She
will expound on the theatre as a sacred exercise, a profane waste of time,
she will read from a work-in-progress entitled, The Dirty Theatre Stories.
She will reveal the secret of how to have a successful twenty five year
career in the Canadian Theatre and still not be able to make a living.
Don't miss it.

> The Art of Balance: Self Care for the Self Employed
> with Eddie Calisto-Tavares (President of Women Business Owners of
Manitoba)
> Sunday, June 8th, 7pm-9pm
> Colin Jackson Studio Theatre
> In the beginning there was an idea. The business owner forged ahead with
determination and the idea. Did the business owner have a clear vision for
how to "work at the business and not in the business"?
> In today's fast paced world we wear multiple hats.  This interactive
workshop will provide ways to Create Balance and plan for Self Care:
> -Define Roles
> -The power of choice
> -Identify your stressors
> -Plan "Work at the business NOT in the business"
> -Ask the question "If not now when and If not me who"
> -Pass Forward for an Immediate view
> -©Determination + Vision + Action = Success
>
> Violence Against Women Workshop
> presented by Manitoba Association of Womens Shelters, New WAVE Collective
and Klinic
> Monday, June 9th 7-9pm
> Colin Jackson Studio Theatre
> FREE ADMISSION
> Includes a special presentation of "Wallflowers and Wildflowers" by
Primrose Madayag.

> Dramaturgical Sessions for Playwrights with Moynan King
> Wednesday, June 11th, 4-7pm
> Saturday, June 14th, 10am-1pm (light lunch will be served)
> Colin Jackson Studio Theatre
> **Maximum ten participating playwrights**
> Playwrights are asked to bring in something that they are working on (it
can be in any stage of development and any style of theatre) and to select
an excerpt to be read at the first session, no longer than 15 pages.  The
work will be explored and goals set as homework for the second session.
Those who prefer can sign up to audit the workshop instead of participating.
Ideally we would have the same participants at both sessions.  Moynan King
is a Toronto-based writer, actor and director.  Ms. King's experience in
acting includes Norman Jewison's The Hurricane, and Deep in my Heart with
Ann Bancroft.  She is the author of several published stage plays including
The Importance of Being Beautiful and Simon's Wife.  She is also founder and
director of HH2, and was Associate Artistic Director of Buddies in Bad Times
from 1994-1997.  She is currently resident dramaturge for the Toronto
Women's Caucus of the Playwrights Guild of Canada.

> Panel:  From Page to Stage to Print
> with Maureen Hunter, Gordon Schillingford, Joanna Falck and Mariam
Bernstein
> Saturday, June 14th, 4-6pm
> Colin Jackson Studio Theatre
> A panel discussion of the process of play creation, production and
publication.
> MAUREEN HUNTER's plays have been produced in Canada, the U.S. and Britain,
and by CBC and BBC Radio. Her work has been nominated for two Governor
General's Awards and two Dora Mavor Moore Awards (Outstanding New Play).
GORDON SHILLINGFORD is owner of J. Gordon Shillingford Publishing which
presently includes five separate imprints: Scirocco Drama, The Muses'
Company, J. Gordon Shillingford, Watson & Dwyer, and Griffin Books. These
imprints collectively issue an average of fifteen titles per year.  MARIAM
BERNSTEIN is a Winnipeg-based actor, director, and teacher.  Directing
credits include Romeo and Juliet (MTC), The Always Prayer Shawl (Wpg Jewish
Theatre), Puppet Munsch and A Prairie Boy's Winter (PTE), and various
productions at U of W, U of M, and the MTYP Young Company. JOANNA FALCK is a
PhD student at the Graduate Centre for the Study of Drama at the University
of Toronto and is currently working on her dissertation on New Play
Development.  Her work as a dramaturg began seven years ago while she was a
Master's Student at the University of Alberta.  Since then, she has worked
extensively as a dramatruge and dramatruged two of the pieces for FemFest!.

> Forum: Status of Women in Canadian Theatre
> Sunday, June 15th, 7pm (followed by a reception)
> A wrap up of the festival with our rapporteur's report and an open
discussion of the current situation of women theatre artists in Canada.

> Each workshop/panel is $5.  You may purchase a FemFest pass for just $20,
which includes all workshops/panels plus admittance to both sets of play
performances.  For more information or to register contact:

> Sarasvati Productions
> 361 Redwood Avenue
> Winnipeg, MB  R2W 1S3
> (204) 586-2236
> raregem3 at hotmail.com
> www.geocities.com/sarasvatiinc
>
> Box Office:  outise of PTE (3rd Floor Portage Place)
>    Monday - Saturday 12noon - 2pm
> FemFest passes also available at Borealis Books, Academy Coffee Co and
McNally Robinson (Grant Park).