Saving the Joy Kogawa Home as a Heritage and Writers' Centre

awagner awagner at YORKU.CA
Sat Nov 15 00:32:59 EST 2003

Dear Friends,

I have become heavily involved with trying to preserve Joy Kogawa's family home, featured in Obasan, from which she and her family were forcibly removed under the War Measures Act in 1942.
Please see the Joy Kogawa Homestead website
http://kogawa.homestead.com for background information and photographs. A statement of aims of the Kogawa Homestead Committee follows below for your reference.

The Kogawa family home in Vancouver was sold today. The new owner wants to renovate the house and rent it out. There is little to prevent the home from being protected from demolition down the road unless Vancouver City Council designates the house as historic and compensates the owner for such heritage protection designation, which would reduce its resale value.

Terry Brunette, the City Heritage Planner, is presenting the case for preserving the Kogawa house as a cultural heritage centre to the Vancouver Heritage Commission at 1 pm on Monday. The hope is that with a strong show of support, the City of Vancouver can assist with the purchase of the Kogawa house on an interim basis.

As per my message to Terry Brunette below, I am making a personal commitment to help make Joy's lifelong dream come true.
I invite you to join me as you are able. Together, these pledges of support may convince the Vancouver Heritage Commission and Vancouver City Council that there is sufficient public support to preserve the home. Please email your pledges to Terry Brunette at
terry_brunette at city.vancouver.bc.ca and copy the mayor Larry Campbell at larry_campbell at city.vancouver.bc.ca and councillors
Jim Green jim_green at city.vancouver.bc.ca and Ellen Woodsworth
ellen_woodsworth at city.vancouver.bc.ca

Tax deductible receipts will be available through the Vancouver Heritage Foundation and the Vancouver Foundation. Both have offered their services to process such receipts. I believe that together we can really make this happen.

Best wishes,

Anton Wagner
Secretary, Joy Kogawa
Homestead Organizing Committee