Nightswimming's PURE RESEARCH - call for submissions

Brian Quirt bquirt at INTERLOG.COM
Fri Oct 31 06:22:55 EST 2003

Pure Research
with Nightswimming
(our apologies if this is a duplicate message)

Call for Submissions -- Deadline December 1, 2003 -- Please post or forward

There are few places in Canada where in-depth theatrical research can be
explored without the pressures of developing and/or performing a new work.
Nightswimming's unique Pure Research program provides space, money and
resources to artists who are pursuing a provocative theatrical question.

Now in its second year, Pure Research is designed to foster theatrical
experiments which are not linked to any particular project. In the spirit of
inquiry, we assist artists in discovering what they need to explore, in
order to further their work. We want you to tell us what you don't know, and
how you might be able to answer your questions through a Pure Research
workshop.

What does that mean?

In 2003 our Pure Research workshops were Voice, Music and Narrative Theatre
by Martin Julien (experimentation with the influence of live vocal musical
sound on theatrical narrative) and Beneath the Poetry: Magic not Meaning by
Kate Hennig (an exploration of voice for the theatre, investigating
alternative models of illuminating text in rehearsal). Reports on both
workshops are posted on Nightswimming's website.

If you have a theatrical question, and can pose it in terms of an
experiment, then we're interested. We will supply studio space for up to
three days, a fee for the lead researcher and a small budget for cast and
materials.

All Pure Research projects will be documented and the results posted on
Nightswimming's website. Researchers will be required to submit a full
report within one month of completing their experiment. Nightswimming staff
will be present to observe and to offer assistance if requested.

The Details:
* Submission Deadline: December 1, 2003
* Pure Research projects will be scheduled between May 10 and May 21, 2004.
* You must be available during this period; please indicate your preferences
between May 10 and 21 to assist with scheduling.
* Workshops will be held in Toronto at the Theatre Centre.
* Please read the submission criteria below.

Nightswimming is a dramaturgical company dedicated to exploring the
boundaries of dramaturgy and performance. We commission and develop new
works of theatre, dance and music. For more information, or if you have
questions about applying, contact us via
http://www.nightswimmingtheatre.com. We'll also be happy to mail you a copy
of our current newsletter.

Pure Research Submission Process

We need a concise but detailed proposal outlining:
* your question and what you want to learn from it
* how you intend to conduct the experiment
* practical details such as time, people and equipment required
* any relevant support material such as text or prior research.

We are particularly interested in:
* exploring poetic or stylized text in any form or genre
* integration of sound, movement, technology and text
* artists who view research and development as a long-term process,
rather than simply as a short-cut to production
* an artistic spirit of inquiry.

What to send us:
* a cover letter introducing yourself and defining the application:
preferred dates, amount of time requested, budget, specific goals
* a project description of no more than two pages
* a list of collaborators, if known
* c.v. of principal artist
* videos: only to introduce us to physical artists. Please provide a brief
explanation of where and when the video was shot.
* do not send press clippings, photos, programs, press kits or folders.

Also:
* be honest about what you know, what you don't know, what you want, and
what you'd like to achieve. Remember that it is not a developmental workshop
for a new piece of theatre.
* all applicants will be informed by mail in March 2004
* please provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you want your
material returned
* we will contact those whose submissions intrigue us, before making
our final decisions.
* applications from artists outside Canada will be accepted, but the
realities of
our budgets means we will focus on Canadian submissions
* note:  applications will not be accepted by email or fax.

Please send application to:
Brian Quirt, Artistic Director
Nightswimming
36 St. Paul Street
Toronto, ON, M5A 3H3, Canada

Thanks for your interest in Pure Research. We look forward to reading your
application.