"The Barons", Quebec, 1805: Thomas Cary?

BOURASSA ANDRE G bourassa.andre_g at UQAM.CA
Tue Mar 2 21:02:15 EST 2004

Bonjour!
I am correcting proofs of an article on theatre in Quebec. While rying to
find the exact title et date of Thomas Cary's prologue for the opening of
the Patagonian Theatre, in 1805 (I am still looking for it), I  come
adross a play in 5 acts, _The Barons_. It was published in Thomas
Cary's journal, _Quebec Mercury_, from 13 april to 15 may 1805, every time
in the last or two last pages of the essues.
But who wrote the play? The weekly edition strats this way:
"Potry / As the following dramatic piece has never been published, and, as
it is very short, we, at the request of the author, submit it to the
public eye in such parts as may not occupy too much of our paper. /
_The Barons / or / Feudal Times_. / A Drama."
It seems evident that the author lived in Quebec. Could it be Cary
himself? I didn't find a clue un the _Oxford Guide_, De _D.B.C._ or
Web sites. So, I hope that some of you do actually know.
I thank you in advance,
André G. Bourassa
<bourassa.andre_g at uqam.ca>.