Fwd: Augusto Boal needs our urgent support

Bruce Kirkley Bruce.Kirkley at UCFV.CA
Tue May 11 02:14:37 EDT 2004

>>> Headlines Theatre <david at headlinestheatre.com> 05/06/04 10:54am >>>
YOUR URGENT HELP IS REQUESTED FOR THEATRE DIRECTOR AUGUSTO BOAL
May 6, 2004

Please forward this to anyone, anywhere in the world, who might help PLEASE TRANSLATE IF NECESSARY.

Augusto Boal, Brazilian Theatre Director and founder of the Theatre of the Oppressed, has fallen ill while on tour and has had two emergency knee surgeries in San Francisco, California. He is on the mend, but the situation has been very serious. As I write this he is still in hospital.

We are estimating that the hospital bills are going to be approximately $60 - 80,000 US. He has no US Medical coverage. Obviously, this is an enormous sum.

Boal has dedicated himself to the struggle for social justice all over the world and is now in a situation where he could use our help. With the co-operation of Boal, his family and his colleagues in Rio, we are collecting donations for a HOSPITAL BILL FUND to help pay the bills. 100% of the funds received will go towards the hospital bill.

Information on Boal’s work can be found at: http://www.ctorio.com.br/ and at: http://www.theatreoftheoppressed.org

There are various ways to donate:

*       Cash will be accepted in Canadian or US currency only (but remember cash in the mail is not secure).

*       Cheques or money orders should be made payable to “Headlines Theatre – Boal Fund”. Canadian or US currency only.

*       VISA payments (which will automatically translate into Canadian currency) can be made from anywhere in the world in the secure “Support Us” section of our website at www.headlinestheatre.com. The link is on the left of the main page, under the spotlight. Click “I’d like to support Augusto Boal” and then fill out the form.

$10.00 US = $13.71 CAN        $100 US = $137.11 CAN         $500 US = $685.55 CAN

When sending funds include your FULL NAME and mailing address so that we can send you a receipt. Please note this donation is NOT tax deductible. We will gather the funds and then forward them to a bank account that is being set up in San Francisco.

Send funds to:

Boal Fund
c/o Headlines Theatre
#323-350 East 2nd Ave.
Vancouver, BC   Canada V5T 4R8

If you need further information, please contact me directly at david at headlinestheatre.com

Thank you for your generosity. All the best,
David Diamond, Artistic Director, Headlines Theatre

** Privacy Policy **

Under Canadian Law, any information you give to Headlines Theatre is subject
to our Privacy Policy, which can be found at: www.headlinestheatre.com