ACTION NEEDED - SUPPORT FUNDING FOR THE ARTS

Bridget MacIntosh macintoshbridget at YAHOO.CA
Tue Nov 16 09:34:20 EST 2004

Hello Everyone,

I hope this e-mail finds you well. Apologies for the mass e-mail but I
wanted to pass along this important note to those who care about the
future of arts funding in Canada.  Please take a moment to read the message below, take a stance and pass this note along to anyone you think would be interested in preserving Canadian Heritage's "Tomorrow Starts Today" and other vital Heritage funding programs.

Many thanks for your time,
Bridget

>From: caea-l-admin at list.web.net
>To: <caea-l at list.web.net>
>Subject: [e-drive]EQUIFLASH  [ACTION NEEDED - SUPPORT FUNDING FOR THE
ARTS
>- NATIONAL]
>Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:53:41 -0500
>

>November 15, 2004

>-------------------------
>ADVOCACY ALERT - ACTION NEEDED
>SUPPORT FUNDING FOR THE ARTS - EMAIL CAMPAIGN
>--------------------------
>
>This e-mail is a CALL TO ACTION for Equity Members.
>
>Stephen Harper, the Leader of the Opposition will be appearing in
>Parliament tomorrow - Tuesday, November 16 - and is expected to
address
>party concerns about accountability in the funding processes at the
>Department of Canadian Heritage and with the Tomorrow Starts Today
>program.  Equity Members are urged to email a letter (with points
>outlined below) to The Hon. Stephen Harper at the Office of the Leader
>of the Opposition: Harper.S at parl.gc.ca
>
>**
>
>Each year, the official opposition can request that a Minister come
>before Parliament to defend their portfolio's spending. The
Conservative
>Party has targeted the Heritage Department and will spend four hours
>questioning the value of the Department's direct spending (for example
>on the programs including Stabilization, Cultural Spaces Canada, and
>Arts Presenters that are part of the Tomorrow Starts Today package) -
>and, possibly, funding to cultural agencies, including The Canada
>Council.  The Conservatives have indicated that their concerns revolve
>around accountability, measurable results, whether the Department's
>spending programs are beneficial to the community, and whether they
>promote sustainability. They are preparing to mount the same attack on
>the extension of "Tomorrow Starts Today" when it comes up for renewal.
>
>To quote a response from Stephen Harper, "The Conservative Party . . .
>has several concerns specific to the Tomorrow Starts Today program
>package.  While the recipients of the funding may be highly deserving,
>we feel that the process is vague and that there is a lack of
precision
>and detailed criteria demanded in the selection of recipients.  We are
>also concerned with the lack of additional goals or objectives
regarding
>the 2004 renewal of the program.
>
>We believe that if we are going to continue funding these
organizations,
>the government must provide a clear picture concerning the length of
the
>funding, and the organizations need to establish a clear definition of
>their responsibilities and obligations.  Otherwise, the funds should
be
>recognized as permanent funding programs by the federal government."
>
>WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
>
>The Tomorrow Starts Today program is administered by Canadian
Heritage.
>This program was announced in June, 2001 by the Hon. Sheila Copps, as
>three year investment in the arts across Canada.  It was renewed last
>year for one further year and it expires on March 30, 2005.
>
>This program has provided $660 million in funding support to the arts
>across Canada over the past four years.  It supports the 745,000
artists
>and cultural workers in Canada and funds many of the programs that
>Equity members utilize on a regular basis, including:
>- the  Canada Council for the Arts, $25 million a year which funds
core
>operations of 800 arts groups across the country, as well as touring
>across Canada.
>- Canadian culture abroad, encouraging the export of Canadian cultural
>goods and services
>-Cultural Spaces, which funds basic cultural infrastructure renewal
>- many flagship arts training institutions, including the Banff
Centre,
>the National Theatre School in Montreal, and the National Ballet
School.