my review of Alan Filewod’s Performing Canada

Gregory J. Reid Gregory.Reid at USHERBROOKE.CA
Sat Jan 22 13:41:00 EST 2005

For those of you wondering how my review of Alan Filewod’s Performing Canada:
The Nation Enacted in the Imagined Theatre in TRIC 23.1-2 ended, here is the
final paragraph (which ‘fell off the truck’ somewhere in transit and did not
appear in the print version of the journal):

[after a long emotionally evocative and intellectually stimulating quotation
from the book]

“His erudition, fine prose and balanced vision put authenticity and ideology on
display in such a way as to allow readers to feel Filewod’s argument almost as
clearly as they can see it.  His text answers many questions but, at the same
time, is not so much the end of one discussion as it is the beginning of many.
Performing Canada is one of those rare books that is both good and essential
reading.”

Best to all,

Greg

PS I have been thoroughly enjoying the issue.  Congratulations to my sister
contributors and the editors and staff.

Gregory J. Reid, PhD
Professor of English and Comparative Literature
Département des lettres et communications
Université de Sherbrooke
Sherbrooke (Québec)
J1K 2R1

tel. (819) 821-8000 ext. 2279