Patrick Chistopher

Denis Salter denis.salter at MCGILL.CA
Tue Jul 19 16:08:54 EDT 2005

  From: Notice <Notice at DAL.CA>
  Date: July 19, 2005 3:31:18 PM ADT
  To: DAL-NOTICE at LISTS.DAL.CA
  Subject: IN MEMORIAM - Patrick Christopher-Carter

  IN MEMORIAM

  It is with regret that we notify the community of the death of Patrick
  Christopher-Carter. Patrick passed away Monday, July 18, 2005, due to
  complications following a stroke. He was 60 years of age and had very
  recently retired from the university.

  Patrick began teaching in the Department of Theatre in the fall of
  1988. He arrived at Dalhousie having already enjoyed a lengthy career
  in the theatre that included performing roles in many theatres across
  Canada: the Stratford Festival, Shaw Festival, The Grand Theatre
  Company and the Manitoba Theatre Centre to name a few. While at
  Dalhousie, Patrick directed more productions for the Theatre Department
  than any other individual (approximately 20). Some highlights are Cloud
  Nine, The Marriage of Bette and Boo, Working, Tonight We Improvise, The
  Art of Success, Red Noses, The Love of the Nightingale, Peer Gynt - and
  the list goes on. As anyone who witnessed Patrick's direction knows his
  productions revealed a passionate and innovative spirit. In 1994
  Patrick co-founded Shakespeare By The Sea, a successful Halifax theatre
  company he was dedicated to.

  Patrick is survived by his wife, Elizabeth Murphy, his daughter Zoe and
  granddaughter Ella.

  A celebration of Patrick's life will take place at the Shakespeare By
  The Sea building, Point Pleasant Park, at 11 a.m. on Monday, July 25,
  2005. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Shakespeare By The
  Sea, 5799 Charles Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3K 1K7. E-mail
  condolences may be sent to: sarah at shakespearebythesea.ca

"To celebrate this award, and the work it recognizes of those around the world, let me recall the words
of Gandhi: My life is my message. Also, plant a tree."--Wangari Maathai, winner of the 2004 Nobel
Peace Prize.

" . . . and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning-hooks:
nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."
 Isaiah 2.4
___________________
Denis Salter
Professor of Theatre