Two Postings at York University: Corrected

Judith Rudakoff rudakoff at YORKU.CA
Wed Nov 23 09:17:57 EST 2005

DEPARTMENT OF THEATRE, YORK UNIVERSITY.
Applications are invited for a senior, tenure-track teaching position at
the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor, with a primary commitment
to the newly-established MA/PhD program in Theatre Studies, effective
July 1, 2006.  All positions at York are subject to budgetary approval.
Deadline for applications is December 15, 2005
The successful candidate should offer a specialization in some aspect of
contemporary world drama and performance studies, such as theatre in
Asia, Africa, Latin America or the Middle East, and/or First Nations
Theatre, with the ability also to contribute courses to the core program
of the MA/PhD.
The Graduate Program in Theatre Studies at York University is expecting
to accept its first MA candidates in the fall of 2006 (subject to
provincial approval), with applications for PhD candidates expected in
2007 or 2008.  In addition to traditional fields of theatre studies and
contemporary world theatre cultures, areas of specialization in the new
programs will also include Theatre and Social Action, Theatre and
Health, Theatre and Spirituality, Theatre and Publishing, and Theatre
and Education. There will also be a one-year Diploma program for
in-service teachers.
The successful applicant will have substantial graduate teaching
experience, administrative experience, wide publication and recognition
as a theatre scholar, and will normally hold a PhD in Drama or Theatre
(or very exceptional equivalent). While this is an academic appointment,
applied professional theatre experience would also be an asset.  Salary
will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.  Candidates are
invited to express the range of their interests in their applications.
York's Department of Theatre has an Undergraduate Program with over 300
majors pursuing degrees in performance, directing, devised theatre,
theatre studies, production, design, and playwriting.  There is also a
well-established Graduate Program offering an MFA in acting, directing,
and playwriting.  The Faculty of Fine Arts at York also includes
Departments of Dance, Design, Film, Music, Visual Arts, and Fine Arts
Cultural Studies.
A letter of application with an up-to-date curriculum vitae, a statement
of research and teaching interests, teaching evaluations, and the names,
addresses, and telephone numbers (plus fax and e-mail if possible) of
three referees should be sent to:

Professor Robert Fothergill
Search Committee, Theatre Department
330 CFT, York University,
4700 Keele Street
Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3, Canada.
FAX: 416 736 5785;
e-mail: robf at yorku.ca.
York University has an Affirmative Action Program with respect to its
faculty and librarian appointments.  The designated groups are: women,
racial/visible minorities, persons with disabilities and aboriginal
peoples.  Persons in these groups must self-identify in order to
participate in the Affirmative Action Program.  The Department of
Theatre welcomes applications from persons in these groups.  The
Affirmative Action Program can be found on York's website at
http://www.yorku.ca/acadjobs/ or a copy can be obtained by calling the
Affirmative Action Office at (416) 736-5713.  All qualified candidates
are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent
residents will be given priority.

 DEPARTMENT OF THEATRE, FACULTY OF FINE ARTS, YORK UNIVERSITY.

Applications are invited for a full-time, tenure-track teaching position
in Theatre Studies, at the rank of Assistant Professor, with
undergraduate and graduate teaching responsibilities, effective July 1,
2006.  All positions at York are subject to budgetary approval.
Deadline for applications is: December 15, 2005.

Applicants for the position are expected to have strong capability for
and interest in teaching in at least one of the Theatre Studies area's
four large-scale Theatre Survey courses, which include Theatre History
from the Beginnings through the Renaissance; Restoration to pre-modern;
Modern Western Theatre including Canadian to 1980; and Contemporary
World, including a focus on Canadian theatre and drama 1980 to the
present.  The department also offers an additional course in Aspects of
Theatre for non-majors.  These courses follow the traditional lecture
format and emphasize dramatic literature and theatre history in a world
context.  The successful candidate will also be expected to demonstrate
strength in one or more of the following theatre studies topics: theatre
in Africa, Asia, Middle East, Latin America; Theatre-in-Education;
Applied Theatre; Puppetry; Criticism, Dramatic Theory, Performance
Studies, Gender Studies in Theatre and/or Queer Theatre.

Candidates should have a PhD (or be ABD), and be active scholars.  While
this is an academic appointment in Theatre Studies, applied professional
theatre experience would be an asset.  Salary will be commensurate with
the qualifications and experience of the candidate.

York's Department of Theatre has an Undergraduate Program with over 300
majors pursuing BFA or BA degrees in performance, directing, devised
theatre, theatre studies, production, design, and playwriting.  There is
also a Graduate Program offering an MFA in acting, directing, and
playwriting, and, starting in the fall of 2006, an MA in Theatre
Studies, with a PhD to follow.  The Faculty of Fine Arts at York,
located in Toronto, also includes Departments of Dance, Design, Film and
Video, Music, Visual Arts, and Cultural Studies.

--
Judith Rudakoff (Dr.)
Professor

Voice Mail: 416-736-2100 Extension 44578

Email: rudakoff at yorku.ca