Harold Pinter

Denis Salter denis.salter at MCGILL.CA
Fri Oct 14 11:32:10 EDT 2005

Hello all,
The wonderful news that Harold Pinter has won the Nobel has repeatedly said that he is giving up the theatre to concentrate on
activism and writing poetry.  This is not true.  Despite his cancer, he will return to the stage next year as part of the English
Stage Company's 50th anniversary celebrations at the Royal Court.  He will act in Beckett's Krapp's Last Tape--that's felicitous
casting!--in a special season which will also feature new work from (Sir) Tom Stoppard.
--Denis.

________________________________
"The sea is history."--Derek Walcott
_____________________________
"That's what hybrids were invented for: survival in changing ecologies."--Lisa
Doolittle.

"To celebrate this award, and the work it recognizes of those around the world, let me recall the words
of Gandhi: My life is my message. Also, plant a tree."--Wangari Maathai, winner of the 2004 Nobel
Peace Prize.

" . . . and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning-hooks:
nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."
 Isaiah 2.4
___________________
Denis Salter
Professor of Theatre