DCD looking for an intern

Allana Lindgren aclind at UVIC.CA
Fri Apr 7 18:04:47 EDT 2006

----- Forwarded message from talk at dcd.ca -----
    Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 14:06:01 -0400
    From: Dance Collection Danse <talk at dcd.ca>
Subject: [scds-secd-l] DCD looking for an intern
      To: scds-secd-l at uleth.ca

Dance Collection Danse is seeking an intern for the months of May through
July, 2006. This internship is part of a Young Canada Works Building Careers
in Heritage grant; therefore, applicants must be registered in the
"Internships for Graduates" program on the YCW web site:
www.youngcanadaworks.com.

Internship title: Research Assistant

Duration: 3 months

Start and end dates: Monday, May 1, 2006-Friday, July 28, 2006

Languages of work: English and minimal French

Eligibility: must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have been
granted refugee status in Canada; are legally entitled to work in Canada;
are 30 years of age or less at the start of your employment; are an
unemployed or underemployed college or university graduate.

The internship will be broken into 4 components: VHS Digitization,
Educational Marketing, Archiving, and Research Assistance.

The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor's or Master's degree in dance and
will have a working knowledge of dance history. Familiarity with Canadian
dance history is an asset. Strong writing and communication skills and a
detail-oriented nature are also important. A basic knowledge of word
processing, e-mail and web browsing software is ideal; however, time has
been allocated to teach the intern how to use the software necessary for
this internship. DCD is an equal-opportunity employer.

The intern will:

  a.. acquire skills applicable to jobs in museums and archives such as
records management and preventive conservation methods
  b.. learn rules related to Research or Reading rooms
  c.. develop communication and interpersonal skills by liaising with
educators and introducing them to DCD's online resources
  d.. acquire time management and project management skills
  e.. learn to use software for desktop publishing (by creating an
educational marketing brochure), digital editing (by creating titles for
digitized copies of VHS tapes), Internet browsing (by researching an e-mail
list of dance educators), group e-mail distribution (by circulating the
educational marketing brochure), Canadian Integrated Dance Database (by
cataloguing a portfolio)

> From July 17-21, York University and the Society for Canadian Dance Studies
will be hosting the World Dance Alliance Global Assembly at York University,
which presents academic papers, workshops and performances. The intern will
accompany DCD staff to meet contacts in the profession, to network
individually, and to participate in all that this major international
conference has to offer. The intern will also have access to the Society for
Canadian Dance Studies web site and listserv through DCD's membership with
that organization.

Mission and Mandate of the Host Organization
Artistic artifacts allow us to know and appreciate the past. They provide a
context for the present and a foundation for the future. As a result, Dance
Collection Danse is committed to ensuring that the history of Canadian
theatrical dance will be available to present and future generations. We
pursue this goal specifically because we believe that dance has inherent
aesthetic value and can provide insight into the country's social and
artistic conscience. Furthermore, we believe that the ability to demonstrate
the longevity of Canada's dance history will encourage citizens to
acknowledge and celebrate the art form. Finally, Dance Collection Danse
believes in the concept of public history - that is, we believe historical
research must be available to all. As the sole national dance archives
dedicated to Canadian theatrical dance history, our activities are oriented
towards facilitating the widest spectrum of public interest.

We acquire and preserve the heritage of Canadian dance in all formats and
media.

Dance Collection Danse enacts its vision through five important programs:

  a.. We collect dance-related artifacts and acquire information in all
forms on Canadian theatrical dance history.
  b.. We preserve these artifacts and practice preventive conservation.
  c.. We disseminate and celebrate dance history through book and magazine
publishing.
  d.. We educate dance professionals and the general public about Canadian
theatrical dance history.
  e.. We serve as the archives for many dance companies and individual
choreographers.

Résumés with covering letters must be sent by April 21, 2006 to talk at dcd.ca
or to:

Miriam Adams

Co-founder/Director

Dance Collection Danse

145 George Street

Toronto, ON

M5A 2M6

Only applicants requested for an interview will be contacted.

----- End forwarded message -----

Dr. Allana Lindgren
SSHRC Post Doctoral Research Fellow
Faculty of Fine Arts