MA/PhD in Theatre Studies at York University

Laura Levin levin at YORKU.CA
Mon Apr 24 12:27:03 EDT 2006

York University announces a new graduate program in Theatre Studies,
and encourages applications for its first class in September 2006. The
application deadline is May 31, 2006.

York’s graduate program grants both MA and PhD degrees in Theatre
Studies, as well as offering a one-year Diploma option. Application
information is available from the graduate program assistant, Aina
Arro, at ainaarro at yorku.ca.

This new program draws on the interdisciplinary strengths of York
faculty and promotes theatre research across the fine arts, humanities,
and social sciences.  We welcome a variety of approaches to
performance, ranging from studies of performance on stage to
performative behaviors in everyday life.  Students will have the
opportunity to explore an exciting array of performance practices,
including traditional theatre, experimental theatre, community-based
theatre, site-specific performance, performance art, rituals, protests,
and popular entertainment.

Within our diverse course offerings, which introduce students to
leading edge work in history, theory and criticism, we also offer
particular fields of specialization.  Currently, these include:
performance studies; theatre criticism and publishing; post-colonial
theatre; and theatre, health and social change (therapeutic and
spiritual applications of theatre).  Many of our courses emphasize the
importance of understanding performance in an international and
cross-cultural context. We are in the process of establishing an
International Summer Institute to expose our students to theatrical
traditions from other cultures and alternative theatre forms.

York’s program in Theatre Studies is unique in combining theory and
critical analysis with a commitment to performance practice.  Students
will engage in performance activities that intersect with their
scholarly projects and they will gain valuable practical experience
through internships.  Rather than approaching performance practice as
merely a research subject, our program views practice itself as a vital
form of research.

Our interdisciplinary graduate group is composed of distinguished
faculty from several departments on York’s two campuses.  Professors
actively involved in the program include: Guillaume Bernardi (Drama);
Kim Byrd (English); Derek Cohen (English); Robert Fothergill (Theatre);
Darren Gobert (English); Terry Goldie (English); Christopher Innes
(Canada Research Chair in Performance & Culture); Gail Mitchell
(Nursing); Modupe Oloagon (African Studies and English); Don Rubin
(Theatre Studies); Judith Rudakoff (Theatre Studies); Laura Levin
(Theatre Studies); Leslie Sanders (Humanities); Skip Shand (Theatre
Studies); Ross Stuart (Theatre Studies); Robert Wallace (Drama
Studies); Belarie Zatzman (Education and Theatre Studies); Joyce Zemans
(Business Administration and Art History); Hersh Zeifman (English); and
Cynthia Zimmerman (English).

Funding is available to qualified candidates in the form of internal
and external scholarships, graduate teaching assistantships, and
graduate research stipends.

If you have questions about the program or the application process,
please contact Aina Arro at ainaarro at yorku.ca or 416-736-2100, ext.
22204.