[Fwd: Call for Microhistory Papers ACTR Panel]

Luella Massey l.massey at UTORONTO.CA
Fri Feb 3 12:07:06 EST 2006

Please forward to any and all individuals and lists:

CALL FOR PAPERS
FOR A PANEL AT THE ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF
THE ASSOCIATION FOR CANADIAN THEATRE RESEARCH
YORK UNIVERSITY MAY 27 TO 30, 2006

*A Tyranny of Documents:**  **The Theatre Historian as Film Noir Detective*

Proposals are invited that examine one document--and one only--that has
been particularly troublesome to the researcher.  The emphasis should be
on the work of the historian as detective in the archive, and on the
difficult balance sought between respect for documentary evidence, the
need to generate significance from it, and the natural-but-dangerous
tendency to smooth out the rough edges of evidence.

This call is looking for *ten-minute* explorations of one document along
*'microhistorical' *lines (outlined below), for a larger number of
panelists than usual in a ninety-minute session.  It welcomes proposals
from scholars early in their careers, and from seasoned veterans; the
area of research is not restricted.  Please send proposals of no more
than 250 words, along with a brief biography, to Stephen Johnson at the
University of Toronto (stephen.johnson at utoronto.ca
<mailto:stephen.johnson at utoronto.ca>).  Copy in the body of the email,
please.

Deadline for submission is March 1.  The organizer welcomes questions in
advance of submitting a proposal.  Please be aware that ACTR members may
only present one paper at the annual conference; this call is intended
for those not otherwise engaged.

*Premise of the Panel--Microhistory:**  ***
The problems and pitfalls of writing theatre history in the 21st century
were usefully discussed by Tom Postlewait in 'Writing History Today'
(/Theatre Survey/ Nov 2000); he suggests that practitioners of theatre
history look closely at the 'microhistorical' direction in historical
research, as particularly well-suited to the discipline.  Microhistory
tends toward the micro-scopic examination of the individual event and
document, in an effort to tease out of minimum evidence a complex set of
relationships; in his phrase, this is history 'in the Chekhovian mode.'
More particularly, microhistory values what its practitioners call the
'opaque document' or 'the exceptional normal'--in fact, suggesting that
the most irritating documents are the most valuable precisely because
they are 'opaque.'  It is the joke we don't 'get' that exposes the
cracks in our own preconceptions of a society; our effort to understand
it, with any luck, enriches our understanding.

This is all well and good; but theatre historians are particularly
inclined by necessity to make much of little, and there are dangers.
The documentary evidence--in particular for such an ephemeral art as
theatre--can be so 'opaque' as to be incomprehensible, and the patterns
among them so apparently arbitrary that there can be no resolution.
Microhistory may favour the ironic-but-humanistic mode of Chekhov, but
in our darker moments in the archive, this gives way to Beckett, and
interpretation fails.

If the historian is a detective, the model is, sometimes, less Hercule
Poirot than Mike Hammer in the film /Kiss Me, Deadly/--who can’t begin
to realize the implications of the mystery he’s trying to solve, but who
can’t stop himself from following the clues.

See Postlewait's article for reference (available on line).  Also 'On
Microhistory,' by Giovanni Levi, in /New Perspectives on Historical
Writing/, ed. Peter Burke (Polity 91), 93-113; and the very useful
'Microhistory: Two or Three Things I Know About It,' by Carlo Ginzburg
(/Critical Inquiry/ 20:1 Autumn 93), 10-35 (available on line).