Fw: Petition to support youth in arts

Rebecca Burton becca_burton3 at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 1 13:11:46 EDT 2006

Equity Paper and HandoutHello Candramers

I just received this email from Jan Selman (please see below) and thought I would pass it on since the issue came up at one point during the ACTR conference.  Some people were interested in more information and the petition about the new tax credit for kid's sports (but not artistic) activities.

Cheers,

Rebecca

----- Original Message -----
From: michael scholar
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:10 PM
Subject: Petition to support youth in arts

Dear friends,

Some of you may have received this already, but if not, please sign and pass it along to others in your address book. It's too important an issue to ignore.

If you click on the link below, you can read and sign an online petition to the federal government, requesting that it reconsider its budget provision giving a tax break to parents who put their children in organized sports (hockey, soccer), but giving nothing to parents who choose to develop their children's intellectual and artistic talents (art, music, dance, drama).  This is not good public policy.

If you agree with that view and the wording of this petition, please sign it yourself and copy the link to your like-minded friends.

http://www.petitiononline.com/dbs201bl/

My apologies if you have received more than one of these. Please sign the petition only once.

Jan Selman

Principal Investigator,
Are We There Yet? Community-University Research Alliance

Chair (on leave, July 2005-June 2006)
Department of Drama
University of Alberta