7: 84 and the possibility of closure.

Denis Salter denis.salter at MCGILL.CA
Wed Mar 22 09:48:27 EST 2006

Dear Colleagues,

Owing to the decision of the Scottish Arts Council to cut all of the funding for the 7:84 Theatre Company, the company is now facing closure as of August 2006. 7:84, now 33 years old, is one of the most important theatres of its kind, and is still driven by the ideal of social change conceptualised, organised, and acted on by one of its chief founders, the late John McGrath and his wife, Elizabeth McLennan. Their 1973 production of The Cheviot, the Stag, and the Black Black Oil is one of the most influential and long running pieces of popular theatre ever produced in Scotland, and perhaps in the U.K.

The work of the company has been documented and analysed, as you know, by Maria DiCenzo of Wilfrid Laurier University, in her important book, The Politics of Alternative Theatre in Britain, 1968-1990: The Case of 7:84 (Cambridge UP, 1996).

Following is a statement of concern from Ruth Ogston, General Manager of 7:84.  She asks us to sign the online petition (the weblink is provided) which will be sent to the Scottish Art Council and to First Minister Jack McConnell and Culture Minister Patricia Ferguson. Teesri Duniya theatre has signed the petition, as have members of its board, and many of its supporters throughout Canada.  The aims of both Teesri and 7:84 are radically similar, as evidenced by Teesri's motto, "Change the world, one play at a time." I gather 7:84 is very much appreciating the support it is receiving not only in Scotland and the U.K. but from around the world.

I note that the words, "7% of the population of this country owns 84% of the wealth"  appear at the bottom of Ruth Ogston's message. I wonder if that ratio still applies, or if an even smaller percentage of the population owns an even larger percentage of the wealth since 7:84 was founded. I wonder what the figure is throughout the U.K., here at home, and indeed throughout the world, assuming reliable data are available. The vision that informed the foundation of 7:84 remains as urgent as ever, if indeed not more so.
--Denis Salter.
********

7:84 's funding cut by the Scottish Arts Council

The Scottish Arts Council confirmed on Wed 1st March they are cutting
all funding for 7:84 Theatre Company.

33 years old and after having produced dozens of plays and employing
hundreds of Scottish actors, 7:84 is now facing closure in August 2006.
The current play Free-Fall looks as if it will be the last touring
production by Scotland's only political theatre company.

Post August 2006, the company will be eligible to apply for projects
funds in 2007/8 although we have been told that there are no guarantees
for funding at all.  Without funding from the Arts Council (which makes
up approximately 60% of the company's income), there is no money to pay
staff which will mean no more tours or none of the massive Outreach &
Community action work: work that is unique in Scotland. [The range, depth, and aspirations
of their Outreach & Community action work are extraordinary.  The work is
outlined on the company's website at http://www.784theatre.com ]

The rationale behind the decision is the Arts Council's new priority of
supporting the artist.  7:84 is seen as too audience focused.   We find
this decision ludicrous and shortsighted and we're shocked that
audiences are being ignored.  The team are in shock and so deeply sad
and angry that the company's work over 33 years has been wiped out under
a new criteria that ignores audiences. We will be appealing this
decision and we desperately need your support to help form our appeal.

We would like to ask you to join a campaign currently on our website
http://www.784theatre.com/index.cfm/page/11/

Expressions of support will be forwarded to the Scottish Arts Council
and to both First Minister Jack McConnell and Culture Minister Patricia
Ferguson as we urge them to intervene in this gross decision.

Thank you so much for support given to the company in the past and
thanking you in advance for future support.

Ruth

Ruth Ogston, General Manager

7:84 Theatre Company (Scotland) Ltd.
333 Woodlands Road
Glasgow
G3 6NG

0141 334 6686 (phone)
0141 334 3369 (fax)

www.784theatre.com
7% of the population of this country owns 84% of the wealth

"When a people forget a language, they forfeit the heart of who they
are and the ability to comprehend the stories that are central to their
cultural, spiritual and emotional health."--Keren Rice.
"That's what hybrids were invented for: survival in changing ecologies."--Lisa Doolittle
"To celebrate this award, and the work it recognizes of those around the world, let me recall the words of Gandhi: 'My life is my message.' Also, plant a tree."  Wangari Maathai, winner of the 2004 Nobel Prize for Peace.

Denis Salter
Professor of Theatre
McGill University
853 Sherbrooke St. West