Deadline April 3: Nightswimming's PURE RESEARCH 06

Brian Quirt bquirt at INTERLOG.COM
Thu Mar 23 15:36:45 EST 2006

Dear Colleagues...
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about our upcoming PURE
RESEARCH deadline.
We look forward to your application!

- Brian.
Nightswimming's
Pure Research 06
In association with the University of Toronto's
Graduate Centre for the Study of Drama

Call for Submissions

Deadline Monday, April 3, 2006
Please post or forward

There are few places in Canada where in-depth theatrical research can be
explored without the pressures of developing and/or performing a new work.
Nightswimming's unique Pure Research program provides space, money and
resources to artists who are pursuing a provocative theatrical question.

Now in its fourth year, Pure Research is designed to foster theatrical
experiments which are not specifically linked to the creation of new work.
In the spirit of inquiry, we assist artists in discovering what they need to
explore, in order to further their work. We want you to tell us what you
don't know, and how you might be able to answer your questions through a
Pure Research workshop.

What does that mean?

If you have a theatrical question, and can pose it in terms of an
experiment, then we're interested. We will supply studio space for up to
three days, a $1000 fee for the lead researcher and a small budget for
artists  and materials.

Last year we launched a new partnership with the University of Toronto
Graduate Drama Centre. Pure Research was held October 11-23, 2005, at their
Glen Morris Studio Theatre on the UofT campus. We are very excited to open
our program to graduate students and to benefit from the resources of the
Centre.
We conducted three research workshops.
* Nick Fraser and Justin Haynes explored theatrical improvisation from their
point of view as musicians, and examined the similarities in improv
techniques in the two disciplines. Bruce Hunter served as coach.
* Lois Brown and Liz Pickard from St. John's investigated humour,
specifically the structure of jokes and gags and how those devices can be
applied to other situations.
* Toronto's Shadowland Theatre worked with a lighting designer to explore
what they call 'theatre of illumination' - investigating a myriad of
lighting ideas to further their use of shadow and image.

All Pure Research projects are documented and the results posted on
Nightswimming's website. Researchers are required to submit a full report
within one month of completing their experiment. Nightswimming staff will be
present to observe and to offer assistance as required.

The Details:
* Submission Deadline: Monday, April 3, 2006
* Pure Research projects will be held in Toronto in Autumn 2006
* Please read carefully the submission criteria below.
* Visit http://www.nightswimmingtheatre.com for more information.

Pure Research Submission Process
We need a concise but detailed proposal outlining:
* your question and what you want to learn from it
* how you intend to conduct the experiment - this is the most
important section of the application
* practical details such as time, people and equipment required
* any relevant support material such as text or prior research

We are particularly interested in:
* exploring poetic or stylized text in any form or genre
* integration of sound, movement, technology and text
* artists who view research and development as a long-term process,
rather than simply as a short-cut to production
* an artistic spirit of inquiry

What to send us:
* a cover letter introducing yourself and defining the application:
preferred dates, amount of time requested, budget, specific goals
* a project description of no more than two pages
* a list of collaborators, if known
* c.v. of principal artist
* videos: only to introduce us to physical artists. Please provide a brief
explanation of where and when the video was shot
* do not send press clippings, photos, programs, press kits or folders

Also:
* be honest about what you know, what you don't know, what you want,
and what you'd like to achieve
* Remember that it is not a developmental workshop for a new piece of
theatre
* all applicants will be informed of results by mail in June 2006
* please provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you want your
material returned
* before making our final decisions we will contact those whose submissions
intrigue us;
we may ask shortlisted applicants for further information or a more detailed
proposal
* applications from artists outside Canada are welcomed, but the realities
of
our budget means we will focus on Canadian submissions
* note:  applications will not be accepted by email or fax
Please send applications to:
Nightswimming
55 Mill Street, #310 Building 74,
Toronto, ON, M5A 3C4, Canada
Thanks for your interest in Pure Research. We look forward to reading your
application.

Nightswimming is a dramaturgical company dedicated to exploring the
boundaries of dramaturgy and performance. We commission and develop new
works of theatre, dance and music. For more information, or if you have
questions about applying, contact us at
http://www.nightswimmingtheatre.com.

Apologies if you receive this more than once.