Theatre of Neptune and Sinking Neptune

Jerry Wasserman jerrywas at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Mon Nov 13 22:02:24 EST 2006

Denis Salter wrote:

> *[See sidebar information and illustration at the bottom on the right.]*
> *//*
> */TheChronicleHerald.ca/*
> *13 November 2006*
> **
> *Altering the course of history
> *
> *Two theatre productions re-enact Lescarbot’s 400-year-old play; one
> with a slice of political correctness and a post-colonial bent
> *
> *By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE Staff Reporter*
>
> *The play’s the thing, according to William Shakespeare, but in
> contemporary society it is a distinctly different interpretation of
> its colonial-era content that’s spawned the controversy.*
>
> *Within the next week, two competing productions of Canada’s first
> drama written and produced by European settlers — a short pageant
> staged by the French 400 years ago in Nova Scotia — will be performed
> in Annapolis Royal and Halifax.*
>
> *One will be a faithful version of the 1606 work by Marc Lescarbot,
> The Theatre of Neptune in New France, while the other show is to be a
> "deconstructed" adaptation with a politically-correct, post-colonial
> bent.*
>
> *History, it seems, is not only written by the victors, it can be
> rewritten by unconventional theatre activists, with an eye toward
> advocating for 21st-century native rights.*
>
> *"You are getting certain slices of the original work" but also
> elements of new work that "in a sense reframe the debate," Montreal
> drama teacher Donovan King said recently.*
>
> *His small troupe, which will be performing the alternative play,
> Sinking Neptune, in Annapolis Royal and Halifax from Tuesday to
> Thursday, aims to present a thought-provoking "theatrical subversion"
> of Lescarbot’s Theatre of Neptune.*
>
> *"Instead of it being this celebratory re-enactment," said King, "the
> issues of racism and imperialism are looked at through the
> deconstruction" of the original production. "So, by the end of it, the
> audience will go away reflecting on those themes."*
>
> *King is ferrying his merry band of amateur actors to this province in
> a van that he alone must drive because "I’m the only one with a license."*
>
> *He said celebrating the 1606 composition is not exactly his kind of
> anniversary. He said what’s needed is "a moment of re-evaluation and
> reflection" about the history of European domination in Canada over
> First Nations people.*
>
> *Asked if he has native ancestry, King said he doesn’t but
> acknowledged the co-founder of his group, the Optative Theatrical
> Laboratories, is an aboriginal person and "a lot of our . . . members
> have First Nations blood." *
>
> *According to The Canadian Encyclopedia, the drama by Lescarbot was
> "written to welcome . . . Samuel de Champlain and Jean de Biencourt de
> Poutrincourt on their return (to Port Royal) from coastal explorations."*
>
> *It was performed outdoors on Nov. 14, the encyclopedia says, "under
> [...]

Thanks for this, Denis. I've been an interested party to the unfolding
of these events because I have just published a 400th anniversary
commemorative edition of the play entitled Spectacle of Empire: Marc
Lescarbot's Theatre of Neptune in New France (Talonbooks). It includes
the original French script, two English translations (Harriette
Richardson's and Eugene and Renate Benson's), Ben Jonson and Inigo
Jones' contemporary Masque of Blackness, and 40+ pages of critical and
historical introductions, including some discussion of the Sinking
Neptune project. Oh, and 22 illustrations. You can hear me talking about
it with Shelagh Rogers later this week on CBC radio's Sounds Like Canada.
best regards,
Jerry Wasserman