updates on the Atlantic Canada Theatre Site

Edward Mullaly emullaly at NBNET.NB.CA
Thu Apr 26 14:30:26 EDT 2007

Hello one and all,

As I won't be at the Saskatoon conference, I thought I might impose for a
few moments to bring you up to date on the year's additions to the ATLANTIC
CANADA THEATRE SITE which, as you know, is Atlantic in its origins but much
wider in its resources. http://www.lib.unb.ca/Texts/Theatre/index.html

n  Bibliography: John Ball's 2006 bibliography additions are now in place.
Also, to deflect thoughts that he slacks off every winter in Mexico, he has
been proofreading the earlier material. Typos have been addressed now for
the entries up to 1988.

n  The Canadian Theatre Reviews 1900-1992 database, originally gathered by
Anton Wagner et al, has had its 20,000 entries site upgraded to provide a
more accurate reading of the original data. It would have been nice to have
had the actual newspaper reviews, instead of only the references to them,
but such is not to be.

n  TRIC is about to get a new and even more friendly web presence. No
precise date for the changeover, but sometime in the coming year. You'll
like it.

n  Performance Calendars: I've made a major effort during the past year to
add more of Patrick O'Neill's Halifax research to the site. The electronic
search engine for Halifax theatre data now extends from 1769 to 1920. This
brings it into the 20th century, and through the First World War (for anyone
wishing to explore the effects of war years on the professional theatre
offerings in a Canadian city). The typed volumes of Patrick's Halifax
theatre research, held in the Mount Saint Vincent Archives, come up to 2004.
I'm not sure if ACTS will have the resources to bring this electronic data
base any closer toward the present.

n  Performance Calendars 2: the TNB, Neptune Theatre, and Confederation
Centre pages now all reflect productions from their respective beginnings to
2006.

n  Performance Calendars 3: the 19th century maritime theatre performance
data has been augmented by Denyse Lynde's continuing research on St. John's
theatre.

n  Drama Texts: Anton Wagner has pretty well completed his Herman Voaden
site. It has become a text resource centre containing nearly all of Voaden's
major writings, and the critical responses to them. Anton, with the Voaden
site taking less of his time, has begun work on his Patricia Joudry site.
During the past year he has added to the Joudry site her autobiography,
Aviva Ravel's Joudry thesis, his long illustrated essay on Joudry, and a
half dozen of her scripts.

Those are the changes for the past year that come most readily to mind. ACTS
receives up to a thousand 'hits' a month. And researchers, judging by their
letters, seem to appreciate it. Despite the demands of retirement, I'll keep
it going for the foreseeable future. Its continued presence owes much to the
kindness of those at UNB's Electronic Text Centre, in particular to web guru
extraordinaire  Jason Nugent who keeps the search engines running on time.

Enjoy Saskatoon.

I'm really sorry for you all.

But it's an unjust world,

And virtue is triumphant