What would you hope to see in Canada's Theatre Museum?

Michael Wallace mwallace at THEATREMUSEUMCANADA.CA
Mon Feb 19 16:19:02 EST 2007

Dear colleagues-

I was wondering if you might be able to help me.

For a little over a year now I have been working as the full-time executive director of Theatre Museum Canada.

Obviously one of our major activities is planning for the day when we have a physical space. This planning builds on previous work that has been done.

Whenever we have talked about what objects would be in the museum, we have generally said "programmes, designs, costumes, and other historical artifacts."

My background is in stage management and although I took the history courses available at Dalhousie (the late Patrick O'Neill was my primary instructor), I won't pretend to be as informed as most of the other menbers of this list-serve.

My question is this: what specifically would you hope to find in Canada's Performing Arts Museum? Rather than "programmes and designs" I am wondering if there are specific artifacts.

I was also wondering if in your experience there have been specific artifacts that you had hoped might be preserved, but that have been lost.

I apologize if this seems like too vague a question, but I would love to hear your thoughts.

Best wishes
-Michael

Michael Wallace
Executive Director, Theatre Museum Canada
416-413-7847
e-mail:    mwallace at theatremuseumcanada.ca
website: www.TheatreMuseumCanada.ca