Announcing a Trey Anthony Production in Toronto

SL Jones dramalists at YAHOO.CA
Mon Jul 16 15:44:40 EDT 2007

Kinky Dinner Productions Proudly Presents

  Good Girls Don’t Indian Girls Do!
  Starring and Directed by Viaji Nathan

  Good Girls Don’t Indian Girls Do, four nights only! July 19-22nd
  Enwave Theatre (Harbourfront Centre) 235 Queens Quay W
  Thurs-Sat 8pm; Sun 3pm
  Box office 416 973-4000
  Tickets $25-50 (plus applicable service charges)

   “Its Ghandi meets Pretty in Pink!”

  In Good Girls Don’t Indian Girls Do, (July 19th-22nd) South Asian Comedian Vijai Nathan, breaks every taboo as she exposes the underbelly of an Indian-American family. She takes you through growing up Indian in a Jewish community; her discovery of sex in a repressed Hindu household; and how she finds herself.  Vijai's irreverent humor springs from her experiences of growing up as a "foreigner" in America.  Born and raised in a suburb of Washington D.C., much of her stand-up comedy is about growing up Indian in America, cultural clashes with her parents, and the racism she's dealt with as a child and now as a comedian.

  “I was the only 'black' person in my elementary school, so I once played the role of Martin Luther King Jr... I also played Tooth Decay.”  – Vijai

  In 1997, Vijai mortified her parents by giving up a career in journalism, canceling her wedding and becoming a stand-up comedian- and she hasn't looked back since! Her unique perspective offers a new spin on dating, childhood, pop-culture, politics and racism. Vijai has grown into the leading Indian American Female Comedian, performing both nationally and internationally.

  Her recent credits include:
  ·   Featured at the Los Angeles Women's Theater Festival 2006
  ·   Vijai is the first and only woman to be Nominated Comedian of the Year 2005 by South Asian Media Awards.
  ·   Vijai has appeared on the BBC and taped UK Comedy Channel's "The World Stands Up" in England March 2005
  ·   NBC chose Vijai as one of its top 10 comics in the Nation for its Stand-Up for Diversity Showcase in Los Angeles , Sept. 2004.
  ·   Back Stage Magazine named Vijai one of the top ten stand-up comics in 2003.
  ·   Vijai was chosen as one of two comics to represent America at the Smirnoff International Comedy Festival in Cape Town , South Africa in September of 2003.

  Also check out, www.Vijaicomedy.com

All new Yahoo! Mail